lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2016, 11:57 AM   #1
CustomGolfCartGuy
Gone Wild

Default how to turn on charger without cart: total charge charger not working

hi guys i had a ezgo textron Total Charge charger (green face) get dropped off here at the shop and im trying to find the reason its not running. ive searched and read for an hour on here about what the causes of the problem could be but i couldnt find anything on how to start the charger without the cart being here. it happens alot here at the shop people just drop off the chragers. thanks in advance

-casey
CustomGolfCartGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2016, 01:56 PM   #2
CustomGolfCartGuy
Gone Wild

Default Re: how to turn on charger without cart: total charge charger not working

Anybody?
Old 09-13-2016, 02:10 PM   #3
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: how to turn on charger without cart: total charge charger not working

Johnnieb is our local electrical problem GURU and he should be along soon to help. What you need to do on that charger is bypass the relay contacts that connects AC to the charger when a battery at the proper voltage is sensed. It would also be helpful for you to have the circuit diagram for the charger to aid in troubleshooting. Let us know exactly what charger you have and I'm sure johnnieb will help. You could also search the forum and find where members in the past with that charger were helped previously. RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:16 PM   #4
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Try this post: It should help

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...harge-1-a.html

RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:44 PM   #5
CustomGolfCartGuy
Gone Wild

here is the charger im working on
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (93.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-13-2016, 02:45 PM   #6
CustomGolfCartGuy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstik40 View Post
Johnnieb is our local electrical problem GURU and he should be along soon to help. What you need to do on that charger is bypass the relay contacts that connects AC to the charger when a battery at the proper voltage is sensed. It would also be helpful for you to have the circuit diagram for the charger to aid in troubleshooting. Let us know exactly what charger you have and I'm sure johnnieb will help. You could also search the forum and find where members in the past with that charger were helped previously. RAY
thanks i bypassed the relay and fired it up and its working good charging 40+ volts. so i guess my relay/board is bad?
Old 09-13-2016, 07:22 PM   #7
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyscustoms View Post
thanks i bypassed the relay and fired it up and its working good charging 40+ volts. so i guess my relay/board is bad?
A good upgrade to that charger is to put the Lester charger timer in it. You will then do away with the knob all together. Its a great and better way to go. Only problem is cost now a days, it doesn't make any sense.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:30 AM   #8
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyscustoms View Post
All you have done at this point is verified the transformer is working. You really need to plug it in to something to confirm the relay/board is bad. If you don't have a 36v cart with the SB50 plug, make up a test wire using an SB50 plug, some 10gauge red and black wire and a couple of ring terminals. Then hook the test wire to whatever cart you have available and plug the charger in to confirm your findings.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:32 AM   #9
CustomGolfCartGuy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
All you have done at this point is verified the transformer is working. You really need to plug it in to something to confirm the relay/board is bad. If you don't have a 36v cart with the SB50 plug, make up a test wire using an SB50 plug, some 10gauge red and black wire and a couple of ring terminals. Then hook the test wire to whatever cart you have available and plug the charger in to confirm your findings.
do i really need to plug it in to something when it is already confirmed that it is charging out 40+ volts? what would plugging it in now accomplish? just curious
Old 09-14-2016, 08:55 AM   #10
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would reconnect the relay to confirm that the problem is in the charger and not in the customers cart. It's the point of changing a hundred dollar board that might be from a simple wire on the customers cart being bad.......
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO