lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Melex

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
fixitman5453
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart losing power as it warms up

I have an old Melex cart (no idea what year or model) that was given to me.
The engine is a Vanguard 1cyl OHV 4-cycle. I'm guessing a 9HP. The engine is labeled "Vanguard made for Columbia ParCar by Briggs&Stratton". I cannot find a part number for the engine.

This cart used to run fine until it was taken for a joyride by some local teenagers and rolled in a cornfield.

Now, when the engine is cold, it runs like a raped ape. As it warms up though, it gradually loses power until eventually it is barely running (not enough rpm's to engage the clutch). If left to sit for an hour or 2 it will run again. Each time this happens though it is less "apelike" the next time it is used.

I have been told by a local golf cart guru that I probably needed to rebuild the engine. He suspects bad rings.

I's hate to go thru the trouble and expense to rebuild this engine just to find out it was something else.

Any suggestions on other things that might cause this that I can check and maybe rule out?

I am planning on checking the compression cold and then again when hot to see if there is any major difference, and if so trying a tsp of oil in the cyl to see if it goes back up. (I guess I do remember something from working on those old Chevy's )

Any suggestions appreciated
fixitman5453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
fixitman5453
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Cart losing power as it warms up

Just remembered something. As I was removing covers and things looking for the engine part number, I decided to check the engine oil.
Either this has the wrong dipstick in it or it is waaay over filled

If I remember right the add mark was about an inch from the tip, the full mark maybe 1/2 to 3/4 in above that. Oil level was at least 4-5 inches above that.
When I checked , the engine was cold and had not been run for about 30 mins, and that was just to move it a few feet. I checked several times thinking I had read it wrong.

What issues would this cause in this type of engine if any?
fixitman5453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
jeggers
Gone Wild

Columbia

Default Re: Cart losing power as it warms up

I was thinking rings.
jeggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Melex