lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2019, 11:45 AM   #1
terryhx
Not Yet Wild

Default 36v txt - new to golf cart building

i just purchased a lifted 36v ezgo txt . on my first drive i noticed an electrical smell coming from under the seat , i did go up a couple hills so i stopped to let it cool , i drove it around a mile or so round trip and barely got back to my house on a full charge . i drove it again the next day after charging and the same thing happened only it got hotter . so after that drive i parked it and ordered a new f/r switch and heavy 2g cables , after installing all of this i went on another drive and went a little farther but still only around 3 miles tops , again i barely made it home . on my next drive i only went a half mile when i smelled an electrical smell and i raised the seat and saw my f/r switch in flames it melted a lug off the switch that goes to the motor . im needing help and suggestions . im going to use the cart for hunting and i dont really care if it is fast .. i want it to last longer and get more miles as it is 2 miles to the backside of my property .
terryhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:24 PM   #2
disland
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 36v txt - new to golf cart building

Are the components stock? Clearly you are drawing a lot of current.
disland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:28 PM   #3
terryhx
Not Yet Wild

yes all stock .. the only upgrade was the cables and a new f/r switch
Old 03-16-2019, 12:37 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryhx View Post
i just purchased a lifted 36v ezgo txt . on my first drive i noticed an electrical smell coming from under the seat , i did go up a couple hills so i stopped to let it cool , i drove it around a mile or so round trip and barely got back to my house on a full charge . i drove it again the next day after charging and the same thing happened only it got hotter . so after that drive i parked it and ordered a new f/r switch and heavy 2g cables , after installing all of this i went on another drive and went a little farther but still only around 3 miles tops , again i barely made it home . on my next drive i only went a half mile when i smelled an electrical smell and i raised the seat and saw my f/r switch in flames it melted a lug off the switch that goes to the motor . im needing help and suggestions . im going to use the cart for hunting and i dont really care if it is fast .. i want it to last longer and get more miles as it is 2 miles to the backside of my property .
Quote:
yes all stock .. the only upgrade was the cables and a new f/r switch
One of these two statements is false.

Lifted carts are not stock.
Lifted carts tend to have taller than stock (18" tall) tires.
Tall tires draw more amps.
If tires are low pressure type, they draw even more amps.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:45 PM   #5
terryhx
Not Yet Wild

ok yes it is lifted but the motor and all internals are stock ... im assuming that is what he was talking about since i had already mentioned the lift
Old 03-16-2019, 12:51 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
ok yes it is lifted but the motor and all internals are stock ... im assuming that is what he was talking about since i had already mentioned the lift
No, he meant tire size (not wheel size). Larger diameter draws more current - amps.

Another thing that causes excess heat is excess resistance, which means dirty or loose connections. Be careful when tightening battery terminals, as they are almost always lead surrounding a stud, and needs to be tightened in accordance with manufacturer's recommendations, which is inch-pounds, not foot-pounds.

Another possibility is a bad connection between the cable and terminal.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:01 PM   #7
terryhx
Not Yet Wild

tires are 22 inch fully inflated and i tightened everything according to specs
Old 03-16-2019, 01:15 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

22 inches is a lot larger than stock, 18", which accounts for excess amperage over stock. You will need to upgrade the controller and solenoid, and make sure your new FNR is heavy duty. I melted a stock solenoid and FNR by abusing mine with stock tires and all stock except rear seat.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:21 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The drive train starts with the specific gravity of the electrolyte in the battery's cells and ends where rubber meets road.

With stock gears (12.44:1) in the differential and stock tire height (18"), the effective gear ratio of the drive train is 16.59:1 and with tires 22" tall the effective ratio is 13.57:1, so the change in effective gear ratio is 18.2%, but to apply the same force where rubber meets road the motor has to produce 22.23% more torque and motors are less than 80% efficient, so with 22"
tires the motor has to draw about 28% more amps to apply the same amount of linear force where rubber meets road than it does with 18" tall tires.

In addition, off-road tires, which are often used on lifted carts, tend to be the low pressure type having a max inflation pressure of 10PSI or less and have a far greater rolling resistance than road tires whose max inflation pressure is typically 20PSI or higher. In some instance carts with taller than stock low pressure tires are actually slower than same cart with stock height golf cart tires even though the taller tires have a greater circumference and should increase the cart's max speed.

Since you are going to be using cart for hunting, you'll probably want/need off-road tires and ground clearance. There are high inflation pressure tires with aggressive tread designs and the drive train can be beefed up to handle the lo-pressure types and still have an acceptable driving distance on a single charge.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 05:09 AM   #10
Timf1981
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The drive train starts with the specific gravity of the electrolyte in the battery's cells and ends where rubber meets road.

With stock gears (12.44:1) in the differential and stock tire height (18"), the effective gear ratio of the drive train is 16.59:1 and with tires 22" tall the effective ratio is 13.57:1, so the change in effective gear ratio is 18.2%, but to apply the same force where rubber meets road the motor has to produce 22.23% more torque and motors are less than 80% efficient, so with 22"
tires the motor has to draw about 28% more amps to apply the same amount of linear force where rubber meets road than it does with 18" tall tires.

In addition, off-road tires, which are often used on lifted carts, tend to be the low pressure type having a max inflation pressure of 10PSI or less and have a far greater rolling resistance than road tires whose max inflation pressure is typically 20PSI or higher. In some instance carts with taller than stock low pressure tires are actually slower than same cart with stock height golf cart tires even though the taller tires have a greater circumference and should increase the cart's max speed.

Since you are going to be using cart for hunting, you'll probably want/need off-road tires and ground clearance. There are high inflation pressure tires with aggressive tread designs and the drive train can be beefed up to handle the lo-pressure types and still have an acceptable driving distance on a single charge.
Hey JonnieB. I just joined her so cant DM you. I want to build a golf cart and this is what ii wrote up.........................
I don't have any parts yet.
Except a dream to make the smoothest riding golf cart possible.

I know I need a longer wheel base.

Do extension kits get the wheel base to the same length as a 6 seater?

It sounds like I need independent suspension along with long travel lift kits.

Possibly cv axles in the rear.

Yes, small rims tall sidewalls and even wider tires. I don't care what they look like.

What older machine do you recommend I modify?

Here s a link to and Argo machine . It comes with 6 or 8 wheels. The front and rear wheels are slightly raised, rocker like a canoe for more maneuverability. I link all wheels are drive wheels. Steers like a tank. No suspension. This is not how I plan my cart to steer.
Google Image Result for https://silodrome.com/wp-content/upl...ontier-650.jpg

I would love to have 4 wheels up front and 4 in the back. The extra wheels don't need to be as large as the others. But have some sort of suspension. Or like spring loaded castor wheels.
Go to the 1:50 mark for an idea for extra wheels to smooth out ride. Where the height adjustment is to the right of the silver bolt. Add a spring in there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOf1...ByYptvdYYq1mEr

Hub motors are a possibility

definitely electric.

Possibly two rotating seats up front on springs.

If I were to buy a 6 seater. I would take off the rear rack and rear seats and mount the clubs there, In front of the rear wheels.

I would love any help you can give.
Timf1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO