lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2018, 10:34 PM   #1
geonjay
Not Yet Wild

Default 2007 Precedent Brake Questions

Hello Gents. I posted about an odd rubbing/squealing noise coming from my rear wheels a few weeks ago...but that post also had questions about my batteries and charger, so I thought I'd made a new post. The squeal is only there when I first start moving the cart, once I've gone a few hundred feet it disappears. I got my wheel off, and had to beat and pry the brake drum off - it was really tight. I blew the brakes and drums out with air, then cleaned the drum and brake pads off with brake cleaner. Then I followed the advice of the threads, and scored the pads and drum with 80 grit sandpaper. To get the drum back on I had to back off the brake adjuster a bit. After the cleaning I could still hear the squeal.
Here are my questions:
1) Does these pads need to be replaced - they SURE look thin
2) I plan on getting a mechanics stethoscope to narrow down where the squeak is coming from - but where should I look at first? The squeal/rub seems to come from both wheels.
3) The front facing brake pad is MUCH closer to the edge of the drum than the rear facing pad - rear has a 3/8" gap and the front is like 1/8 or less. I've never had issues with braking, but that asymmetry doesn't look right.
4) Is removing the axle really that big of a bear? It seems that changing the brakes without removing the axle would be REALLY frustrating.

Front Gap

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UArkzl7WtMgIi0sh1

Rear Gap

https://photos.app.goo.gl/S54P5lGgRBnR2bsJ3

Zoomed Out View

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EEs6rXkEi40XM9rz2
geonjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-25-2018, 02:36 PM   #2
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2007 Precedent Brake Questions

Any place that the brake shoes make contact with other metal surfaces needs to be lubed.
Get you a can of white lithium lube and apply it to those surfaces. Needless to say don't get any grease on the brake pads or drums.
The brake pads look ok to me
The spacing you mentioned is also correct.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:18 PM   #3
jhanson999
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Just to note I replaced mine without pulling the axles. The spring removal and reinstall can be a bit frustrating, but it wasn't that bad and can definitely be done.

Also, shoes are relatively cheap, and with the importance of brake functionality I'd recommend just replacing them either way.
jhanson999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:55 PM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

The sliders need to move freely in order for the shoes to center in the drums each time you use them.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:55 AM   #5
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

I’ve done it many many times without removing axles. It’s hard to get the springs in bit not impossible. It takes a little bit of patience and a large flathead screwdriver...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:15 AM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Wow - never even heard of pulling the axles to do a brake job.... All I can say is "Ouch!"
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:41 AM   #7
geonjay
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Wow - never even heard of pulling the axles to do a brake job.... All I can say is "Ouch!"
It's what the Club Car owner's manual suggests...and of course they may it look really easy. I think that removing the axles would DEFINITELY make it easier..but after reading forum posts and watching a few videos, I don't know that I'd ever try to remove the axles without the help of a professional.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:55 AM   #8
Precedent Tom
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

The easiest thing i did was put the pads together first with the big spring on top, slide them around the axle and put the pin/clip in. Then do the bottom springs, this made life easier than trying to do the top spring with the shoes already in the drum.
Precedent Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:59 PM   #9
geonjay
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted_txt View Post
The easiest thing i did was put the pads together first with the big spring on top, slide them around the axle and put the pin/clip in. Then do the bottom springs, this made life easier than trying to do the top spring with the shoes already in the drum.
That is BRILLIANT!! Thank you!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car