lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #11
hanny
Getting Wild

Default Re: Batteries Gone Wild

gotta be a meter issue. 83 volts would mean 3.45 volts per cell which is pretty hard to believe considering they run 2.6 fully charged I believe.

Side note; I also have a fluke meter and YES they are expensive but let me tell you how good they are, mine is 20 years old (fluke 87) and when i was an auto mechanic got used every day. still works perfect. An investment that is beyond reasonable for its accuracy, consistency, reliability and down right toughness.
hanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #12
rib33024

Once you run the batteries out of water/plates showing, they will NEVER be the same. And then charge them with no water in them, there done, but charge them up and see what happens, after they have a full charge, let the cart rest for 12 hours and then test the batteries to get a true reading

while the charge is on, just before it turns off, test the batteries, and when they are up around 60/62 volts that's where it turns off
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #13
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprsze007 View Post
So I just got home with my new meter am tested the pack again....... 49.7V and each battery is around 8.3 or so. Thats after about a 12 mile ride up and down some pretty decent hills loade with 4 people. So let's now move on to what might have brought on the high speed shutter and HOT motor. Any ideas? Let me throw this in there too. At half throttle it shudders the same way all the time as it did this one time at high speed. Normally I can cruise slow, then half throttle it shudders if I hold it there, then it's perfect on full throttle. But that one time it did it at full throttle too.
Just a thought here. When the electrolyte becomes low in a cell, the part of the plate that is exposed won't produce electricity. Basically you are running on a smaller battery. If it's too small it will not provide the power necessary for full throttle operation.
Now what is causing your shutter at mid throttle is a mystery to me! Someone else may have an idea on that!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #14
suprsze007
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I charged the pack last night and checked it this morning. It is currently sitting at 51.7volts. I'm going to let it sit all day today and will take new readings of the pack and individuals when I get home.
suprsze007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #15
suprsze007
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So I got home and checked the pack voltage. It was at 51.7 still. We took it for a ride and it still shudders at top speed and half throttle. When we got back I temped the motor at 143 and smelled slight burning oil. I recently put 10w40 synthetic oil in the diff. So I'm wondering if that is where all my problems started or if something else is wrong. What should the pack read under a load? Is there any settings on the DCX500 that I can changed voltage or turbo wise to prevent this? I have a feeling the pack is tired done and I'm just trying to rule out all options before I park the cart and save the dough to buy a new pack.
suprsze007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:41 AM   #16
Canine_Rescue_Pilot
Getting Wild

Club Car

If the motor is getting crazy hot, AND having these erratic shudders, I would start to suspect either a controller malfunction or a motor issue.

I did have an experience once with an industrial motor (not golf cart) where a piece of the motor brush broke off and logged itself near one of the field coils. The motor was giving me all sorts of overspeed and inaccurate speed results.

On most carts it's fairly easy to remove the motor, and take the main pieces apart to check the brushes - also blow out any carbon dust and check the surface of the commutator and the condition of the brushes. Check the varnish coating on the windings. Areas where the varnish appears obviously "bubbled" (perhaps heat damaged) could have an intermittent short developing.
Canine_Rescue_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car