lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
ninershawn2418
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 36 volt to 48 volt club car

what advantage or disadvantage would i get from turning a 1998 resistor 36 volt cart into a 48 volt cart and what do i have to do
ninershawn2418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36 volt to 48 volt club car

First you have to understand how the two different drive systems work.

How a resistor cart works:
The application will differ from cart to cart but the theory is the same .... key switch powers the micros at the F&R. The micro activates the solenoid which brings power to the speed wiper board assembly. The speed wiper selects a cable depending upon peddle position. Each of these cables runs to a different speed resistor . Each resistor has a graduated resistance value which regulates how much amperage is allowed to flow to the motor ...the motor goes faster the more amperage it is allowed to draw.

Early carts ( pre 89-90ish) use a series of graduated sizes of speed resistor coils to regulate speed. Each coil in the group offered less resistance than the previous one. When you stepped on the gas 100% of the available battery power (amperage) was drawn and speed was regulated by how much of this amperage was burned off (wasted) by the resistor coils. So even if you push the peddle a little it drains the batteries same as wide open throttle.

In contrast the modern solid state speed controller sips the battery power. When you step down on the peddle 10% just 10% of the battery power is delivered to the motor.
In contrast to the resistor coil cart this very efficient system will yield longer run times.
It will also open the door to voltage increases like the one you asked about ..... 36 to 48v. The average 36v golf cart motor does very well on 48v. The increase voltage brings an increase of about 30% more torque and speed, while consuming less amperage.
I hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
Kidder
Gone Wild

Club Car

Couldn't have said it better scotty
Kidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It's almost a no brainer
Old 09-20-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
It's almost a no brainer

I think all you would need is a new series controler (300-400amp), 48V HD 200amp solenoid and 6-8V batteries. I would also upgrade your ENTIRE cable set for 4ga. Your 36V F/R lever and your 36V series motor will be great! It is a really peppy setup.
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:57 AM   #6
ninershawn2418
Gone Wild

Club Car

how do i wire the controller
ninershawn2418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:16 AM   #7
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninershawn2418 View Post
how do i wire the controller
see attached
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Doc100-046-A_DWG-AXE-Reverse-No-PlugBrk-wire-dia.pdf (90.2 KB, 26 views)
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
nickrov
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ok not to but in, I have a 82 cc 36 volt solenoid cart do I need this same controller ? I need batteries and want to do 6 , 8 volt batteries. Some people have said just put them in and run it? Is that true?
nickrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrov View Post
Ok not to but in, I have a 82 cc 36 volt solenoid cart do I need this same controller ? I need batteries and want to do 6 , 8 volt batteries. Some people have said just put them in and run it? Is that true?
Yes and No. Yes you can just put them in and run...BUT...you will need a 48 volt charger...and be prepared to replace solenoids as they burn out. Now they won`t burnout immediately but eventually they will burn out. I did this on a 86 CC which is similar to yours. Lasted about a year before replacing a solenoid. Also IF you run at anything other that wide open most of the time the resistor coils will eventually burn in to. I have yet to loose a resistor coil , but I ran WOT 95% of the time.

CartTrader
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartTrader View Post
Yes and No. Yes you can just put them in and run...BUT...you will need a 48 volt charger...and be prepared to replace solenoids as they burn out. Now they won`t burnout immediately but eventually they will burn out. I did this on a 86 CC which is similar to yours. Lasted about a year before replacing a solenoid. Also IF you run at anything other that wide open most of the time the resistor coils will eventually burn in to. I have yet to loose a resistor coil , but I ran WOT 95% of the time.

CartTrader
There you have it ... It works fine (he says) you just have to drive full throttle (at the new 30% faster speed ) 95% of the time and be prepared to melt solenoids at that .... that doesn't sound fine to me?

I tried this years ago.... I too managed to drive wide open for a year, full throttle and coast, full throttle and coast...., it was tough around the yard, coming out of the garage, or anywhere you had to be careful. One day the wife got in the cart to go to the neighbors... and melted it down in less than 1/2 mile
That was the impetus for the first solid state conversion.

Tags
1998 resistor cart
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car