lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
genelangston
Not Yet Wild

Default Batteries being overcharged

2001 48 volt Club Car. New batteries just installed, all connections clean.

Cart has a history of charging for long periods of time before charger turns off, will set at 4 amp charge much longer than I think it should resulting in batteries bubbling hard and having to add distilled water much more often than normal. Took 10 hrs charging on new batteries before charger finally turned off. Battery pack voltage at 63v, individual batt. at 10.3 volts. I have tried 2 different chargers, both of which I know are good (work fine on my other club car), both will set at 4 amps indefinitely or for long periods of time. I think this charging condition runned the old set of batteries that I pulled out.

The cart works and runs fine otherwise. It does have factory lights, horn and brake light switch which all fuction ok. Key switch works as should.

I'm learning and would appreciate any help you could give me.......

Thanks
Gene
genelangston is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Batteries being overcharged

Welcome to BGW

did you charge the new batteries before you took it for a ride when you installed them?? 10 hours to charge new batteries is about right not to worry, the 63v at full charge is where the charger should turn off, that's good, just keep an eye on the water levels of the batteries 1/4in above the plates, distilled water only
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
genelangston
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply, yes I did charge new batteries before using. I worked on this cart for previous owner before I purchased it and found old set of batteries dry on water twice. I orginally thought the charger was bad and replaced it but that didn't make any difference, still using excessive water after charging several times.

thanks
Gene
Old 04-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Old batteries will do that. Sounds like your charger is working fine ~ charge times should reduce as your batteries break in.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
genelangston
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Scotty, will monitor for a while and see what happens.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car