lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
Lakesnake
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Wire Gauge?

Thanks to all that have responded to my questions. Its amazing to find such friendly knowledgeable people in here. You have saved me time and money from the get go.

Will adding 2 gauge wire to my pack with a stock motor and controller see any difference in performance aka speed on the cart? If not I assume motor & controller would be my next options.
Lakesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
wizardket
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Wire Gauge?

What size are you starting from? #6? Do the wires get very warm or hot now?
wizardket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Lake, you will not see much difference in speed from the stock wires, but those wires will be a nice upgrade when you do swap out the controller, and or motor later on. Your wires will be cooler then the stock ones and you may notice some difference but not a lot. Good luck, keep us posted.
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
Lakesnake
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks wiz& Husker

They are #6 and they are not getting hot, was just wondering about a wire upgrade for a little more speed. Look like the wallet going to have to part with a few of his friends
Old 04-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Didn't have any measurable (GPS) difference when I changed from 6 to 4 ga., but the cart felt a little stronger climbing hills. Probably wishful thinking. However, I'm convinced that proper cabling is part of the foundation necessary for the cart to be all it can be whether in stock trim or to take advantage of performance upgrades.
My 6 ga were original to the cart and 9 years old when I took them off. They looked OK when on the cart but upon closer inspection when out, I found significant corrosion and even broken strands when the insulation was stripped away. I believe you could make a case for periodic wire swaps especially if you aren't the one who has maintained them from new.

IMO, Don't go cheap on the wires and protect and maintain them as you would those $600-800 batteries.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
Lakesnake
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Kernal,

You make a great point and I'll look into inspecting them tonight.
I do remember seeing somewhere that scottyb sales them and may just have to pick some up so that I sleep better at night.

Thanks again
Old 04-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
mauistardog
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I don't think it's wishful thinking Kernal. I found the upgrade from 6ga to 4ga to give me more power, not so much on the top end speed, but I get there faster. :-) I have been building my own wires out of good quality jumper cables from Lowes. A low price lug crimp-er can be gotten off ebay. Good welding wire is hard to come by here and is expensive. I was just report we have the highest gas price..4.87 a gallon for regular. Thinking of taking the cart to work soon. :-)

joe
mauistardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
wizardket
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesnake View Post
Thanks wiz& Husker

They are #6 and they are not getting hot, was just wondering about a wire upgrade for a little more speed. Look like the wallet going to have to part with a few of his friends
Not getting very warm or hot means that they are not creating loss of power. This means no speed or torque increase. And as to speed, that is voltage related. More Volts = More Speed (add batteries) / More Amps = More Torque (new controller). More amps need larger wire to avoid loss. Also more volts requires less Amps for the same torque.
wizardket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #9
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Baby steps, if your wires are older, do the upgrade now.
You will need them if and when you upgrade the controller.
Scottyb can walk you through it, he is a shy young thing
but if you get in touch with him you will be pleased with the
service and advice he gives.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #10
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I've only seen pictures of Scottyb's wires but they look top notch to me.

Lots of info on this subject in this forum. Lots of tips and opinions too. This can easily be a $125-200+ project. A little cheaper if you make them yourself and you already have the tools.

Might be worth the time to do a little research before you pull the trigger if you haven't already.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO