lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2019, 06:48 PM   #11
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: Is this Weldable ???

Why not just bolt a strap on top,or would there be a clearance problem.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2019, 07:10 PM   #12
jamoore
Gone Wild
Club Car

After digesting all the info and doing some you-tube watching I think I am going to try and weld her up myself. Saw several videos about welding aluminum with a MIG and no spool. Looked satisfactory for what I want to do. I like to learn new skills and say I did it myself so I might just get some aluminum wire and a bottle of Argon and see what I can do. I did check out the brazing idea and the videos I saw were not successful. I will probably add some reinforcement to the top and side while I am at it. Have a few things to get before I try this but will report back. I know it wont be professional quality results but hopefully it will do what I need. Fingers crossed.
jamoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:20 PM   #13
HaulnA$$
Getting Wild
Club Car

If you are going to attempt this yourself, two things to keep in mind. The weld puddle when welding aluminum moves much faster than steel. Second, the prepared joint must be super clean down to virgin metal. Take a stainless steel wire brush to the joint in prep and do not use any chemicals to clean it. Practice on something similar before attempting your weld. HTH.
HaulnA$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:37 PM   #14
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoore View Post
-snip-
I know it wont be professional quality results but hopefully it will do what I need. Fingers crossed.
And that is where your trusted Milwaukee Grinder comes in....

And as HA stated, Aluminum has a low melting point so be prepared if you are used to welding mild steel. Your prep work is the most important, not the aesthetics....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:29 AM   #15
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

Sounds like you got this - with the knowledge of folks like NoleFan4Ever to rely on, you can’t go too far wrong. Best wishes! I hope it all works just right!
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:51 AM   #16
jamoore
Gone Wild
Club Car

Two thumbs up to all. Would not have even thought about trying this myself without guidance from all the folks here and pointing me towards some good info. I have often said I believe I can do brain surgery with the help of You Tube. Will be watching more videos for tips and will definitely practice before the real thing. Already ordered some wire. Will post results but may be a little while.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:59 AM   #17
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaulnA$$ View Post
If you are going to attempt this yourself, two things to keep in mind. The weld puddle when welding aluminum moves much faster than steel. Second, the prepared joint must be super clean down to virgin metal. Take a stainless steel wire brush to the joint in prep and do not use any chemicals to clean it. Practice on something similar before attempting your weld. HTH.
And if you heat it up with a torch before you weld it, it will be a lot easier to weld
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:27 AM   #18
R.Boyd
Getting Wild

And as mentioned earlier, only use a stainless steel brush to clean it. Rinse with acetone too. You'll need at least a 140 amp welder preferrably much higher.
R.Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 02:29 PM   #19
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Thinking back, a few years ago I found some aluminum low temperature welding rods that worked with map gas. I used it to fasten a few carry handles to an old aluminum boat. Those actually worked pretty well for a light duty application but I wouldn't use them for anything that needed some beef. I would bet they would work in your case as well. If you do a search for low temp aluminum welding rods you will get some hits.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:39 PM   #20
jamoore
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks, Someone else mentioned those as well. I did a little You Tube looking on those (may not have been same ones you used). In the videos I saw there they did not seem to work very well. Sounds like your experience was more positive.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car