lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2019, 01:23 PM   #1
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Experiment

So I'm setting around it's too cold and wet to play golf. Got one of those light bulbs floating above my head.
My cart is 2003 DS IQ , a year or so back I got a dpi stand alone charger unhooked the six pin connector on my OBC and jumped the blue white wire connection. Ran a 10 ga wire from charge port to main pack negative, btw just left the other black wire going to the OBC,left the gray wire in place also. The reason is my power drive charger and obc are still good and work just fine so I wanted to leave it so that I could hook it back up if I ever get rid of the cart.

Anyway at first I never unhooked the six pin connector at first, when the yellow battery light started coming on I unhooked the connector and jumped the blue and white wire together. Everything has worked just fine no problems with anything.

The other day I decided to change from 4 ga battery cables to 2 ga. The hole in my obc is too small to get the 2 ga cable through so I just went around it no problem everything works just fine. I am using my dpi charger.

Here is my experiment. I took the tape off the six pin connector and removed the jumper wire, hooked the connector back to the obc. I don't like the looks of a connector being taped up.

My thinking is the yellow light will not come on again because the obc has no way of knowing power is coming out of the batteries because the negative does not go through the obc sensor. If I ever want to go back to the power drive charger all I have to do is unhook the wire I ran from the charge port and run the pack negative back through the obc.

I took my cart for a ride around the neighborhood about 10 minutes and everything is working good. Just waiting now to see it yellow light comes on again.

I know this sounds like a lot of trouble but like I said too cold and wet to play golf
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2019, 03:38 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Experiment

Lol! Retirement!!
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:43 PM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The only possible issue I can think is since the DPI will never provide the sense signal, the OBC will go to sleep after 3 days without driving.

Since the OBC wakes up with the pedal micro-switch anyway, don't be alarmed if one day the cart does not work the first time you press the pedal to use it (the warning light may come ON as well to indicate a wake up event).
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:12 PM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Thanks for the feed back guys. I've looked and looked at the system and could not see it doing harm.

Btw if I put a connection from charger plug negative to gray wire pin would that keep the cart from running when charger is plugged in. I'm talking about the charger cord DC plug. Then again maybe not a good ideal until I learn more.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car