lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-23-2018, 12:54 AM   #21
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: New solenoid bad?

Just a thought. Trig123 is the man when it comes to these things and would take his advice. I don't want to confuse the thread, but after reading would do this:

Take your voltage meter and check the voltage at the ends of whatever leads you are using off the battery. With all these failed solenoids I would make sure I am testing with good, decent wires and good battery of course.

Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-23-2018, 06:02 AM   #22
jeremy93ls
Not Yet Wild

Since this part has no markings on it at all, I wonder if it could actually be a 36v solenoid for a different application?
jeremy93ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:07 AM   #23
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Mine has 12 volts dc marked on it. Does yours look like this one ?
You very well may be getting a 36 volt solenoid.
Your cart does have the robbins 4 stroke ? The solenoid I showed came off a 1992 EZGO Marathon with the 9 hp robbins
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solenoid.jpg (235.4 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:09 PM   #24
jeremy93ls
Not Yet Wild

Yep, that's the same one I pulled off of mine. It had 12v stamped into it, but the new ones have nothing at all.

4 stroke, 2 cylinder Robins engine. I bet that's what happened.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:45 PM   #25
kenhouser
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

you may need to ground the frame of the solenoid also

Last edited by kenhouser; 10-23-2018 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: did not read the entire article fbefore the first message
kenhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:30 PM   #26
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy93ls View Post
Yep, that's the same one I pulled off of mine. It had 12v stamped into it, but the new ones have nothing at all.

4 stroke, 2 cylinder Robins engine. I bet that's what happened.
The solenoid does not have to be externally grounded. The small terminal on solenoid takes care of the ground.

As you can see in the 1st picture I tookof mine and connected it to a battery sitting in shop floor.

The second picture is an old cart I am working on and it has the same part yours has.

When I supply 12 volts to the other small terminal it clicks and sends 12 volts to other side of solenoid therefore making the starter turn.

If you do it this way and no click then either you got another defective one or the incorrect one.
Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1023181418_HDR.jpg (231.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg solenoid 1.jpg (280.3 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #27
jeremy93ls
Not Yet Wild

I bought another solenoid from a different company and still have problems. With this one, I bench tested it before hooking it all up and it works normally. it clicks and sends 12v through it like it should. My original solenoid bench tested bad, so I'm at least one step closer to solving this.

After hooking up the new solenoid correctly, I can get 12v through every micro switch and all the way back to (just before) the small terminal on it. Tom, referencing your picture above (thank you for taking the time), that blue wire shows 12v when the pedal is pressed, so I'm confident everything is fine up to that point. The problem is, when I have that blue wire plugged into the blade on the solenoid, the post its connected to only shows 2v-3v when the pedal is pressed. I tried unplugging both red wires, but the post still shows 2v-3v when pedal is pressed. Solenoid does not click because something is robbing that voltage that the blue wire is supplying.

I swapped in another charged 12v battery for fun, and the first time I pressed the pedal, something clicked up near the coil, but it never turned over. I even tested the solenoid with a smaller 12v battery while everything was still hooked up and it clicked like it should.

The other two things plugged into that same post are (I think) the ignitor and a voltage regulator. Would one of these cause a problem like I'm experiencing? A few times, randomly, while pressing the pedal, the solenoid was clicking rapidly. Then, for whatever reason, the next time there was nothing at all.

I removed and cleaned all connections I could find, as well as the large ground connections throughout.

Does any of this sound familiar to you guys?
Old 01-20-2019, 05:45 AM   #28
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

It sounds like you have a bad wire or connection in the harness and when a load is applied that connection is dropping out. With the blue wire off the spade see if you put like a 12 volt bulb or test light on it and see if it comes on. If no then with the pedal down and a load applied start chasing backwards through your connections until you get your full 12 again. When you do the problem is between the last 2. If yes, disconnect the vr and igniter and see if it will spin. If yes, one of those is your problem.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:46 AM   #29
jeremy93ls
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
It sounds like you have a bad wire or connection in the harness and when a load is applied that connection is dropping out. With the blue wire off the spade see if you put like a 12 volt bulb or test light on it and see if it comes on. If no then with the pedal down and a load applied start chasing backwards through your connections until you get your full 12 again. When you do the problem is between the last 2. If yes, disconnect the vr and igniter and see if it will spin. If yes, one of those is your problem.
Thank you for the reply. I don't have a test light, but know my way around a voltmeter. If the red and orange wire from the vr and igniter unplugged and only the blue wire plugged in, nothing happens when pedal is pressed. Blue wire still shows 12v when pedal pressed (unplugged), but when plugged into the spade on the solenoid, it drops down to less than 1v. I can't figure what's happening.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:00 AM   #30
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Bad connection somewhere. I realize a relay doesn’t pull that much current but a volt meter pulls almost nothing so that is why the voltage doesn’t drop. Again, hook up the blue wire push the pedal down and start going back up the circuit to see where your voltage jumps back up to 12. Your problem will be between the last two points.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ezgo, gas, gxt, solenoid, workhorse
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO