lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2018, 10:30 PM   #11
omextreme2381
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: US Battery Denying warranty on 12 month old Batteries, Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
One last thing to check. See if there is a date of manufacture on the batteries. That would rule out the possibility that you were sold used batteries.
The date of MFG is 4 months before i bought them, So not sure that we can conclude much from that. 4 months does not seem like too long of a time to be sitting on the shelf. I do know they certainly looked new when I bought them. But who knows.
omextreme2381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-12-2018, 10:33 PM   #12
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by omextreme2381 View Post
His claim was that all that was in the batteries was just water and that they would not hold a charge since the "electrolytes were used up" when the batteries were boiled down (allegedly)
When a lead acid battery is discharged, the Sulfuric Acid in the battery reacts with the Lead plates and Lead Oxide in the battery to form Lead Sulfate and Water.

In high school chemistry terms, the chemical reaction of a flooded lead acid battery can be written as:
Pb(s) + PbO2(s) + 2H2SO4(aq) → 2PbSO4(s) + 2H2O(l)
Lead (solid) + Lead Oxide (solid) + Sulfuric Acid (liquid) → Lead Sulfate (solid) + Water (liquid)

When a lead acid battery is recharged, the chemical reaction is reversed and the Lead Sulfate and Water are converted back to Lead, Lead Oxide and Sulfuric acid.

So when a lead acid battery is fully charged, the liquid phase is a strong mixture of Sulfuric Acid and Water. When a lead acid battery is discharged, the Sulfuric Acid concentration is reduced to a low level and the liquid phase becomes primarily water.

So in a discharged state, the electrolyte in your battery is primarily water.

The water concentration of the electrolyte is also the reason why a fully charged battery (which has a high sulfuric acid concentration / low water concentration) freezes at -92 F and a 20% charged battery (which has a low sulfuric acid concentration / high water concentration) freezes at +19 F.

So the reason why your battery is primarily water right now is because it is in a highly discharged state. The presence of water is NOT a factor of the "electrolytes were used up", rather is a result of being at a low state of charge. The sulfuric acid should still really be in the battery ... it is just now in the Lead Sulfate chemical form!

I call BS on the theory that the "electrolytes were used up when the batteries were boiled down" and would suggest that you pursue your warranty claim further.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:49 PM   #13
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
One last thing to check. See if there is a date of manufacture on the batteries. That would rule out the possibility that you were sold used batteries.
That would be the first thing I would check.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #14
scrannel
Gone Wild

I know this is a stretch, but seem to recall some sort of class action suit over Trojans because their "quick release" caps were leaking. Of course there's a difference between water evaporating (water loss only) and electrolyte being splashed out (like through ill-fitting caps). My Duracells came with the quick-caps and I was noticing the battery tops seemed unusually damp. Swapped out the quick-caps for old-style singles and battery top surfacaes immediately dried out and water loss went way down. So... you can see what I'm suggesting.
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:52 PM   #15
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

omextreme2381 get in touch with corporate via phone and email. Have you DOM, your receipt and service history all present and discuss this with their tech support manager.

If you did as directed by normal battery maintenance routines, they will honor it, you just have to get past the bad representative you are working with.

They warrantied a set for me that got turned over when a cart flipped and told me their batteries are built better than to have failed after that...
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car