lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2018, 12:57 PM   #1
tjwor
Not Yet Wild

Default 2004 Club Car DS dies after short run time

My friend picked this cart up about a year ago. It was used in a retirement community by an elderly man. It ran fine for them until late into last year's golf season.

The cart would run for a couple holes of golf and then die. He found a battery cable that broke or was nearly broke off, and replaced it. The problem wasn't fixed.

I went over a few nights ago to try to help troubleshoot. Here is what I found.

1. Cart has 48v (6 8v setup) worth of batteries, but the main positive wire to the solenoid/controller was on the 36v post. Would this have been done to restrict the speed of the cart? Would a 48v cart run on only 36v?

2. There was a power converter hooked up to the batteries (I'm assuming 48v to 12v), but nothing is hooked up to it. I'm thinking this could be drawing unnecessary power or causing some other type of issue. The cart has headlights, and at one point had a radio. The headlights are hooked directly to 1 battery. Should I get rid of the old converter or move the headlights to it? The lights are used maybe a handful of times per year for a few minutes at a time.

3. A couple of battery cables are on their last leg and need replaced. Still have a connection but are flimsy at the connectors.

4. There is some heavy corrosion on the battery nuts we removed. About 1/2 of the nut is gone on the bottom side from the outside-in, so the threads remain but the nut is 1/2 as thick on the outer edge.
tjwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-13-2018, 01:31 PM   #2
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2004 Club Car DS dies after short run time

It is possible that was done to keep the cart speed down but it would not be the best way to do it.
Should have just had the speed code changed down to 1, 2 or 3 from the dealer with a minimum service fee.
I may be wrong but the controller should work down to 36V but the solenoid may not function correctly if it is a 48V unit.
If it has 36V unit in then ok.

The converter should be used if it is good as the converter is attached to the full pack voltage
but it may not have enough amp capacity for the accessories.
Connection to just one battery will cause a battery imbalance and the whole pack will suffer.
The converter will draw some low idle current if it not controlled by a switch.

Post a pic of the converter and also post the serial number of the cart.
Does this have a large lever or a smaller rocker switch for the F/R function?
What type of batteries does it have and what is the age of the batteries?

Replace all the cables with 4awg (stock is 6awg) and new nuts.

Also there should only be one large negative cable on the pack
and it should go through the OBC (on board computer) to the controller.
The converter negative cable should attach to the ground bar lug near the controller.
This way the OBC can sense the accessory drain and compensate for it on the next charge cycle.
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:38 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 2004 Club Car DS dies after short run time

Good advice.... (solenoid too)
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car