lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2017, 05:26 PM   #1
a_machinist
Not Yet Wild

Default Just picked up a 16 Precedent, what's my first move?

So I just picked up a 16 Precedent. I've been reading this forum for the past week and I just don't know where to start. I'm looking for a speed upgrade as I'm pretty sure mine is only set to Speed 2 as it only hits 13mph on my GPS.

Not sure if I should:

1. Spend $125 at my stealer to bump it to speed 4.
2. Spend $225 for a bandit motor.
3. Or is there some other option I should be looking at?

I'd post a picture, but I'm not allowed to.

Thanks in advance
a_machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2017, 08:29 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Just picked up a 16 Precedent, what's my first move?

I would go with an Alltrax XCT controller. Preferably an XCT-500 so it gives you room to grow (it can be programmed for your stock motor.) That will give you the speed and some more torque and a lot of room to do more down the road. I would go ahead and upgrade the solenoid and battery cables at the same time so you have a good foundation for future wishes, wants and needs.

Now if you never wish to do more, then the XCT-300 will give you all of what you want right now.....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:48 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

LOL! Sell it quick?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:42 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I got an older 2014 that I went through step by step upgrades - just to see what you guys were getting performance-wise. I started with the code 4. I did hit 19 but slowly and honestly bumping up against the speed limit was rather annoying.
Next I put in a simple XCT300 control and 200 solenoid. WOW - I got better results than expected= a nice power increase and 23 mph.
Next I installed the FSIP A3 motor and I got a significant power boost and top speed is now 27.5 mph on stock height tires.
Next I developed and installed a lockable 'personality switch' I call Mode Lock 3.
The mode lock is a high security 3 position key switch. The switch is removable in all positions allowing the user to lock the cart in any of the 3 modes.
I programmed graduated speed, acceleration rates, motor amperage limits, and different regen settings into each mode like;
mode 1 is quicker to a top speed of 15 mph than a standard golf cart.
mode 2 is better than any code 4 cart acceleration is crisp to 22 mph.
mode 3 is for street use with the fastest acceleration, no regen braking, and top speed of 27.5
This cart is really fun to drive for me and my wife now.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:50 AM   #5
a_machinist
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
I would go with an Alltrax XCT controller. Preferably an XCT-500 so it gives you room to grow (it can be programmed for your stock motor.) That will give you the speed and some more torque and a lot of room to do more down the road. I would go ahead and upgrade the solenoid and battery cables at the same time so you have a good foundation for future wishes, wants and needs.

Now if you never wish to do more, then the XCT-300 will give you all of what you want right now.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I got an older 2014 that I went through step by step upgrades - just to see what you guys were getting performance-wise. I started with the code 4. I did hit 19 but slowly and honestly bumping up against the speed limit was rather annoying.
Next I put in a simple XCT300 control and 200 solenoid. WOW - I got better results than expected= a nice power increase and 23 mph.
Next I installed the FSIP A3 motor and I got a significant power boost and top speed is now 27.5 mph on stock height tires.
Next I developed and installed a lockable 'personality switch' I call Mode Lock 3.
The mode lock is a high security 3 position key switch. The switch is removable in all positions allowing the user to lock the cart in any of the 3 modes.
I programmed graduated speed, acceleration rates, motor amperage limits, and different regen settings into each mode like;
mode 1 is quicker to a top speed of 15 mph than a standard golf cart.
mode 2 is better than any code 4 cart acceleration is crisp to 22 mph.
mode 3 is for street use with the fastest acceleration, no regen braking, and top speed of 27.5
This cart is really fun to drive for me and my wife now.

Thanks guys, I think the XCT300 will be plenty for me. Just cruising around town with the family.

EDIT: Can I just do the controller and call it a day or should I do the solenoid, diode, cables and all that jazz?
a_machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:40 AM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_machinist View Post
Thanks guys, I think the XCT300 will be plenty for me. Just cruising around town with the family.

EDIT: Can I just do the controller and call it a day or should I do the solenoid, diode, cables and all that jazz?
If you have the stock 6 awg cables, I would at least upgrade them as it is fairly cheap and easy to do and gives you a lot of bang for your buck. A good 2 awg set will give you less current drop, heating, and corrosion, with more dependability and durability over time. And you are right there near all of it when you do the controller.

scottyb - Carts Unlimited is running a 10% off sale this weekend for Labor day and will have everything you need and will program it to work for your needs.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:49 AM   #7
Jimbo2012
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Next I put in a simple XCT300 control and 200 solenoid. WOW - I got better results than expected= a nice power increase and 23 mph..
Scotty, was that with the stock 8" whhels?

What would you expect with stock motor, XCT300, #2 wires and 10" wheels?

25mph perhaps?
Jimbo2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:29 PM   #8
hunter99
Gone Wild

Club Car

I started out with the speed upgrade as I didn't know any better. Since then I have been reading and plan to upgrade to the XC500 and possibly an AMB 7144 motor. For me running around my neighborhood, which is mildly hilly, and going to campgrounds with it that setup will be more than I need. I did the speed upgrade as I know there is a lot of things I want to do as part of my project and figured it would at least keep me entertained for now.
hunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:59 AM   #9
BlueandWhiteRV
WE ARE! PENN STATE!

Club Car

I did the speed code at first because I also had a lot of other things I wanted such as tires, lift kit,new body, etc. I always knew I would end up with a new controller. I went with the Alltrax 48500. It's tuned down since I have a stock motor. But I can turn it up if I upgrade the motor. It's a world apart from the factory speed code. That's just how I went about upgrading. FWIT, the difference in price for the 500amp with fan will future proof the cart.
BlueandWhiteRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car