lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2017, 01:32 PM   #1
Golferdave
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Trick the OBC ?

When I pull the batteries for various maintenance, the On Board Computer is reset.
This iniciates a change in the charging algorithm , that changes how it charges the batteries , (read here, it treats them as new , 75% charged, & lengthens the charge cycle)

1. Can/ Does this algorithm cause an over charge of 3 month old batteries?

2. Is there a way to trick the OBC to go back to the algorithm it was using before the batteries were disconnected & the OBC was reset?
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2017, 01:58 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Trick the OBC ?

I never heard of 75%....

When the power is removed from the OBC for more than 10 minutes, the volatile memory that keeps track of how much energy has been removed from the batteries is lost.

When the OBC charges the batteries for the first time(s) after that, it needs to use a different method since it has no information of how much energy it needs to replace.

The dV/dt algorithm used is another industry accepted method of charging the batteries, once the OBC has enough information about the battery pack health, it reverts back to the "Coulomb Counting" energy replacement charge algorithm.

It should not be an issue.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:57 PM   #3
Golferdave
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks

I'd heard/read, new batts , when installed , were not at 100% charge.
Are at/near 75%.
& it takes a few charging cycles to get them to 100%.

Is This
not true ?

Also read that the OBC, after it's reset,
will assume new batteries installed &
An algorithm in the OBC will charge Based on that.

Is that , not true , also?
Old 01-12-2017, 05:31 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

While most battery vendors will tell you that there is no need for a "break-in" period, they also tell you that new "deep cycle" batteries will not achieve maximum performance until a few charge/discharge cycles have occurred in order to fully "form" those thick lead plates.

That means if the battery is rated at 105 min @ 56 amp discharge current, You may only get 90 minutes for the first cycle and better run time with each subsequent cycle until you reach the rated capacity.

The 75% number You read is not related to "charge" or battery voltage, but capacity.

The OBC does not "assume" anything, as I explained before, without having valid information about how much energy is stored in the batteries, the OBC will use an alternate charging algorithm (dV/dt) until the energy used for re-charging the pack matches what it had calculated as needed.

That can be as little as 2 charging cycles or more if the OBC keeps making adjustments for the "age" (health) of the batteries.

The most important thing when using an OBC is to make sure that all negative wires for accessories comes out of Controller B- so that the OBC can measure the energy being discharged from the batteries.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #5
Golferdave
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks Sergio
New to DC & carts
Nice to get the straight scoop

Helps sort out the chaff .
Some of the chaff is mine, but am working on that .
As my cart basic knowledge improves, I may eventually be
able to assist new members & not muddy the water too much.

Glad you are around to help

Thanks again
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car