lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2016, 06:01 PM   #1
Role
Gone Wild

Question E-Z-GO RXV Solenoid - 48 Volt Solenoid to Replace 36 Volt Solenoid...

I have a 2013 E-Z-GO RXV .. Having a solenoid issue from the factory solenoid which I noticed what appeared to be rated at 36 Volts.

I'm seriously confused as to why there is a 36 volt solenoid on an RXV that has a battery bank of 48 Volts. Doesn't really make sense to me.

Nevertheless, my biggest question is - Can i replace the 36 volt Trombetta solenoid with a heavy duty Rodgers 48 volt solenoid?? I know that getting it to fit down with the cover is an issue, but I'm just focusing on the question of whether it will work or not and not damage anything?

Attached a photo of the stock solenoid below. Sorry, I know it's sideways

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance gang
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (141.5 KB, 0 views)
Role is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2016, 06:08 PM   #2
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: E-Z-GO RXV Solenoid - 48 Volt Solenoid to Replace 36 Volt Solenoid...

They make that exact solenoid, in both 36 and 48 volt. By the way, I have seen a lot of rxv's with that 36 volt solenoid in it.
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:52 PM   #3
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: E-Z-GO RXV Solenoid - 48 Volt Solenoid to Replace 36 Volt Solenoid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Role View Post
I have a 2013 E-Z-GO RXV .. Having a solenoid issue from the factory solenoid which I noticed what appeared to be rated at 36 Volts.

I'm seriously confused as to why there is a 36 volt solenoid on an RXV that has a battery bank of 48 Volts. Doesn't really make sense to me.

Nevertheless, my biggest question is - Can i replace the 36 volt Trombetta solenoid with a heavy duty Rodgers 48 volt solenoid?? I know that getting it to fit down with the cover is an issue, but I'm just focusing on the question of whether it will work or not and not damage anything?

Attached a photo of the stock solenoid below. Sorry, I know it's sideways

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance gang
A 36V solenoid is normal. The Main PWM setting sets the average voltage to the Main Coil (solenoid). If you change to a 48V solenoid, you may need to have the Main PWM setting adjusted for a reliable solenoid pull-in. They hit the solenoid harder to get it to pull in then taper it back to a lower setting to keep the solenoid cooler.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:00 PM   #4
Role
Gone Wild

Thank you both for the input.

Since I don't have a programmer for it, I guess I'll go back with the 36 volt solenoid. Can I use any type of 36v solenoid? I've got a Rodgers 36v nothing special.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:48 PM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thank you both for the input.

Since I don't have a programmer for it, I guess I'll go back with the 36 volt solenoid. Can I use any type of 36v solenoid? I've got a Rodgers 36v nothing special.
As long as it can handle the current required with low voltage drop across the contacts. I think scottyb and a few others might be good to chime in on this.

Bob
Old 09-13-2016, 11:22 PM   #6
Role
Gone Wild

Even after installing another solenoid the problem continues. Turn the key on a jerk in the rear and then a constant beep. If I keep turning it on and off repeatedly it will eventually started working where I can select a gear and drive it.

Anyone suspect that the motor brake needs replacing?
Pack voltage at a resting state is 50.8. Cables and contacts are cleaned and have terminal protection cleaner on them.

If I flip into tow from run and select neutral wheels spin fine.
Flip from town to run and same thing jerks and just does a beep... Beep... Beep... Etc..

Plausible a 2013 ezgo RXV has a bad motor brake?
Old 09-14-2016, 02:59 AM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Even after installing another solenoid the problem continues. Turn the key on a jerk in the rear and then a constant beep. If I keep turning it on and off repeatedly it will eventually started working where I can select a gear and drive it.

Pack voltage at a resting state is 50.8. Cables and contacts are cleaned and have terminal protection cleaner on them.

Flip from town to run and same thing jerks and just does a beep... Beep... Beep... Etc..

Absolutely could be. Pull the motor brake connector off and check the resistance of the motor brake coil with an ohm meter. It should be between 25 and 28 ohms. A loose connection or missing Run Plug under the cupholder can do the same thing.

Do you know anyone near you that has a handheld that can run a check for error messages? I have one, but I'm not familiar with what part of Mississippi that Madison is in. I have a new motor brake in my spare parts inventory.

Bob
Old 09-14-2016, 08:50 AM   #8
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Here, let me through you for a loop....... The RXV solenoid activates at 36 volts, but after you are driving around the voltage going to the solenoid drops to 24 volts on the activation side. The engineers that designed that setup should be shot in my opinion.....
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:58 AM   #9
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
Here, let me through you for a loop....... The RXV solenoid activates at 36 volts, but after you are driving around the voltage going to the solenoid drops to 24 volts on the activation side. The engineers that designed that setup should be shot in my opinion.....
Yup, they set up a PWM just to do that. It can be eliminated, but at stock settings it allows the solenoid to run cooler. When a solenoid weakens, the hold-in voltage is sometimes not enough to keep it turned on.

Bob
Old 09-14-2016, 09:15 AM   #10
CustomGolfCartGuy
Gone Wild

Quote:

use a diagnostic tool if you can, we put 2 brakes in a rxv here at the shop and they only last a month and do the same thing. its currently in the shop now and needs a 3rd but im going to find the **** prblem this time instead of just putting a bandaid on it
CustomGolfCartGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
48 volt, ezgo, rxv, solenoid, solenoids
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO