lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2019, 03:46 PM   #1
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Another Resistor Heating Up between Solenoid Terminals...

Greetings friends. I am working on a 2004 club car. Stock set up and controller. I did not notice any controller/solenoid issues prior to installing the reducer and light kit. Cart seemingly ran normal for stock cart with lift.
Installed light kit and reducer, wired with fuses etc etc. Previous owner had kit wired to one of the 4 batts individually. Undid that and did correct way. During this process I obviously disconnected some of the batteries etc. Hooked up kit to 04 harness etc. All voltages from reducer read 12.3 volts, 20 amp reducer, etc. And upon final button up, I smelled small electrical burn and saw smoke from controller box. Light kit functioned perfect and voltages were normal. I never touched controller box. Cart had been in tow entire time and key off since I parked it.
Opened controller box, and saw smoke from resistor between solenoid and it looked burnt. I had a spare stock one from a 2012, so I tried that one (not sure if direction matters or not) but put it on and reconnected positive (cart in TOW this entire time). Kept finger on resistor and within 10 seconds it began to heat up. To the point you could not hold it. Disconnected pack positive at that point. Read many posts on this topic, which I have read over the years too.
Next step was try a controller from a 2012 cart I had. Replaced 04 controller with 12 controller. Hooked back up correct. Reconnected pack positive, same issue and result. Resistor really hot quickly. Still in Tow and key off.
Took off pack positive. Next I disconnect A1 terminal at motor, and secured with zip tie to make sure no shorts. Reconnected pack positive. Same result (using 12 controller that was to my knowledge working though it was on shelf for a while).
So resistor is seemingly over heating. Could a short in the stock wiring harness for the light kit cause this issue perhaps? I am at a bit of a loss at the moment as to what to trouble shoot next.
Upon reconnecting pack voltage I show 50.7 volts at left solenoid (as if looking from front of solenoid as it’s mounted). Which is of course normal as this is voltage feed to controller. The right solenoid terminal shows .54 volts when pack connected.
Key is off and cart in tow during these tests. Would you be kind enough to offer some sage advice friends?
What information can I provide to help troubleshoot?
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
resistor heating up
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car