lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2017, 08:04 AM   #1
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

Default weakest link regarding cables

I wish there were a forum for generic questions because this isn't Club Car specific, but hopefully even the knowledgable EZGO and Yamaha guys will see this and chime in.

Assume you took a stock cart and upgraded the motor, solenoid, and controller.

Obviously leaving 6ga cables would mean the cables would be the weakest link in the circuit so a cable upgrade would be appropriate.

Now assume you have a new set of 2ga cables, but one cable is missing because the set got raided when another cart had a cable failure.

So if you were to replace all the cables except for one (i.e. the cart would have all 2ga cables except one single 6ga cable) would that be worse than simply leaving all cables as 6ga until I can get a full set?

Thoughts?

TJ
thetoddjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2017, 08:28 AM   #2
klubber
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: weakest link regarding cables

Make this easy. Only as strong as weekest link. Call Scotty B. He makes all his cables. I bet he could make one for you to get you up and running.
klubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:35 AM   #3
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by klubber View Post
Make this easy. Only as strong as weekest link. Call Scotty B. He makes all his cables. I bet he could make one for you to get you up and running.
The partial set is a ScottyB set. I will be buying a replacement from him.

I'm still curious about the science. If you isolate the weakest link to be a single cable, will it fail quicker than one of the 6ga cables would have failed if there were "multiple weak links"?

TJ
Old 04-10-2017, 08:48 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If that single 6 ga cable is in good shape, it is not a bottle neck and your system will benefit from the overall replacement of the other cables to 2 ga.

This is one of the most misunderstood topics in this site, mostly due to applying erroneous water analogies.

Unlike water running in a hose, the diameter of a wire does not restrict the amount of current that can flow on that wire.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:57 AM   #5
Seaquell
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

With the mods the 6ga set would fail at the cable that has highest load, I dont know what one that is?

Maybe you can double up or even triple the 6ga wires on the one connection, I bet that would help till you find a replacement

I have read many time 6ga is just enough to get by with stock carts playing golf.
After a long trip fully loaded and stock i had a few warm connections now if I was cought on a log or turning around on a big hill it would probably burn one up.
Seaquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:12 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Tell us more.
Reference shows 25' of 6g offers 0.01 Ω resistance while the same length of 2g offers significantly less 0.004
I read last week where JB calculated a voltage to the motor loss based upon cable size.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:21 PM   #7
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Anyone want to see the difference cable size makes, just take the battery out of a car. Now try to use those cheep 12 ga jumper cables to start it. Then take a set of 4 or 2 ga jumper cables and you will see the difference larger cables make. I'm sure most of have exprenced this with cheep jumper cables. Anyone that would work on there own cart is not afraid to jump start a car for someone.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:54 PM   #8
LakeNut
Not Yet Wild

The total number of feet of the smallest diameter wire is what matters. Yes, one #6 cable will be noticeable compared to all #2, but also only having one #6 cable should be noticeably better than all #6 cable.
LakeNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:45 PM   #9
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeNut View Post
The total number of feet of the smallest diameter wire is what matters. Yes, one #6 cable will be noticeable compared to all #2, but also only having one #6 cable should be noticeably better than all #6 cable.
Great way to put it. Thanks.

TJ
Old 04-10-2017, 05:30 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeNut View Post
This is true. Take a blade fuse for example, even on the Alltrax fuses, the element is extremely small in comparison to the diameter of the rest of the cable used throughout the system.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car