lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
pifd
Not Yet Wild

Default Need a second opinion

I have an 84 ezgo. I have over 120psi of compression so the motor is strong. The cart runs great starts out well gets up to speed and top end is were it needs to be. The problem is going up any incline large or small it bogs down to an almost stop until it takes off again as it does from a dead stop. The drive/engine mounted clutch has a ting when you initially hit the gas to go from a dead stop until the cart takes off and again right before it stops until it stops. It sounds as if you were tapping it on the aluminum hub with a hammer. After many threads and research hrs on the search engine from this site and all the great people posting and helping each other I believe i know what needs to be done but want to ease my ming with some help from more qualifed people than myself..
The Drive clutch needs to be replaces as there are no parts for them. The ting noise is from the pads wearing out and now rubbing until clutch engages Correct?? I had my wife drive as I watched the clutches work and the Driven clutch/one that drives the wheels is not pushing the belt back up when let of the gas or slow down. The driven clutch will not close until ther is slack in the belt and that is why I lose power on inclines and it will not basicly down shift correct? The solution is to replace both clutches and new drive belt is the conclusion I have come to. What do others think? Thanks for the help guys. I was a bit long winded so thanks times 2!!
pifd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
sharse36
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Need a second opinion

You are right the driven clutch is not down shifting and that is way you are losing power. Over time the bottoms wear and the spring loose tension. The best bet is to get new clutches and belt. I did that to my 87 ezgo and I can go almost any wear I want to go. You still slow down going up big hills but you make it up with out stopping. Hope this helps. I also did a cold air intake and it give it a little more power.
sharse36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Certainly it sounds like your driven is shot. Myself, being fiscally conservative (cheap), I think I would change the driven first to see if your issues are resolved. Your belt should be 1 3/16th wide so you can simply measure to see if it is worn. If it is and you wanted to replace it with the shorter belt (for greater low speed torque and hill climbing) then you should look for the Dayco HP3004 (44 1/8 th)

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
pifd
Not Yet Wild

I would love to change only the driven clutch as that is the main culpret and seems rather simple to change. The Drive clutch looks like a pain to change and really not looking forward to that one. What are the future issues with the drive clutch pads being wore out and making that tinging noise? I was only thinking changing both as I don't want to change the driven and not the drive and then have something major go wrong with the drive clutch. I love this place for help thanks so much guy's!!
Old 04-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
pifd
Not Yet Wild

I got my Driven clutch off and how do I know fore sure it's bad? Should I be able to open and close the clutch plates be hand?
Old 07-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hi Pifd, Did this help your issue's or did you find something else?
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
pifd
Not Yet Wild

Yes problem solved, re-placed both clutches, a new belt and like brand new. Not that hard to change took about 2hrs total and could do it again in less than an hour now that I have done it once!!
Old 07-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info Looks like I'll be doing the same.
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO