lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-29-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
Matt555
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Blew all lights, new tail lights wont get brighter on brake press.

So i just got a 2007 Electric Club Car and installed a 48v-12v converter. The converter works fine but when we plugged in the blue wire for the head/tail lights to the converter it blew all the lights out! For some reason when the blue wire was connected to the converter 50v came out at all the light sockets. (checked a million times and the converter is working as it should)

(While I'd like to know exactly why that happened I'll start another topic for it.)

So for the time being the blue wire is back on the battery post and pushing 12v to all the sockets as it should. I replaced the bulbs and bought new tail lights :( but now the tail lights only turn on with the headlights. The brake pedal has no effect when pressed.

To troubleshoot i took out the floor panel and put a multimeter on the switch connected to the pedal and it puts out 12v when the pedal is pressed. So the next part i checked is what i think is called the 'brake limit switch' (getting that name from the service manual's wiring diagram, which i may be reading wrong). The brake limit switch had no change on either of the two connections coming out of it when i pushed the brake pedal. So i assume that my original problem also blew out this switch. I admittedly don't understand this switch fully and whether or not i should actually see 12v on one of the two other posts.

Assuming the above troubleshooting is correct; i'd like to replace the brake limit switch but the part number on it doesn't come up in any searches and i cant find anything that looks remotely similar. I'll attach some pictures in few minutes.

Thanks for any help!
Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20111228_162817.jpg (42.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20111228_162750.jpg (32.0 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Matt555; 12-29-2011 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: added pictures
Matt555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
Matt555
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Blew all lights, new tail lights wont get brighter on brake press.

I forgot to mention. This had a turn signal kit already installed when i purchased it. I have no idea which kit though or if this part is even related.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

It sounds like you wired your lights to the input of the converter instead of the output. If the blue wire was on the 12V "Battery #4 Pos post" then it should have worked on the converter output.
You said you checked it many times but I have to ask. You are getting 12V from the converter output with your meter grounded back to the 48V battery ground "Same place the converter should be grounded"?

I'm running a converter and my blue wire is hooked to the output of the converter.
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

You replaced the tail lights or the bulbs? Those lights "I Think" should be a dual filament bulb. I don't have brake lights on my cart but any other brake light I've ever seen is dual filament. If you replaced the bulbs, were they the correct bulbs? Did you check both terminals in the bulb socked with brake pedal pushed and released?
I really don't know what kind of tail/brake lights that you have. They may be LED for all I know.

If you replaced the light assembly, you may have replaced it with one that does not have brake lights.

Quote:
I forgot to mention. This had a turn signal kit already installed when i purchased it. I have no idea which kit though or if this part is even related.
Does your front blinkers work?
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
Matt555
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down South View Post
Does your front blinkers work?
Yes! Sorry forgot to mention that. The turn signals work fine, front and back. The tail lights are LED, which is why i had to replace the whole thing.

I agree that the blue wire shouldn't do that. We were actually comparing wiring with my dad's 07 which is connected just like yours. Whoever did the wiring for the light kit really did a number; it looks good under the dash but the main harness has all kinds of wires cross connecting... anyways, like I said, not too concerned with that right now. The lights can run off the single battery for the time being. Just want to get the tail lights functioning so the DMV will give me the thumbs up :D

So any thoughts on the part i posted pictures of? I havent had a chance to compare with my father's yet and there's nothing even close to a part number in the service manual.

Thx,
Matt
Old 12-29-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

that looks like a brake light timer. this device turns off the brake light after 30 seconds so you can leave your parking brake on without the brake light staying lit.

i believe,
2+ is +12V signal from the brake switch
3- is 12V Negative
1 is the output for your brake light

pressing on the brake should give you 12V between pins #2 & #3, if not look at the switch.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #7
Matt555
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Good news, a quick search for brake light 'timer' instead of switch lead me to the exact package that was installed on my cart!

http://www.mymadjax.com/file/Ultimat...Installweb.pdf

Thanks Sonic!

I'll post how this turns out.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car