lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2019, 11:55 PM   #1
smokin3000gt
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Solenoid not clicking,cart slowly shutters forward

Hello everyone. We've got a CCP with Alltrax controller and MZJ-400 amp solenoid. Have driven it a bunch since the upgrade without issue. Last drive was 4th of July, drove great, parked it and plugged it in. Went to go drive it the other day and the cart barely creeps/shutters forward. I noticed that I'm not getting the 'click' of the solenoid closing. I checked voltages, battery pack, and connections.

Can I jump the solenoid with 12v or does it need 48v 'engage'? Any other way to bench test it before replacing it? What would cause it to go bad after only a few months?
smokin3000gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-28-2019, 12:03 AM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Solenoid not clicking,cart slowly shutters forward

Does that solenoid have a resistor across the 2 big posts? If so does it get hot when the cart tries to move?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:25 AM   #3
smokin3000gt
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-07-28 01.23.21.jpg (154.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-28-2019, 12:25 AM   #4
smokin3000gt
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Does that solenoid have a resistor across the 2 big posts? If so does it get hot when the cart tries to move?
It does but I can't tell if it gets hot because I can't get to it when it's all back together. There is also a resistor or something like it between the two smaller connections
Old 07-28-2019, 12:40 AM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

The one on the small posts is a diode. I don't know anything about Alltrax controllers, but if it was mine this is what I would do: Jack the rear wheels off the ground. Tap the side of the solenoid with a rubber mallet, short piece of 2x2 wood or something similar while the pedal is slightly depressed. I think you may have a solenoid that is stuck open.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:53 AM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

If you read the blink codes when you are depressing the pedal, you are more than likely getting a "Pre-Charge Failure" and you will also see that in the Alltrax Tool Kit. I do not know what is up with the MZJ's lately, but I have had 2 do that within as many months.

As MC stated, get a wooden hammer handle and tap very sternly on the side as the bridge is failing to properly close in and deliver current across the large posts.

I have this 2nd one on the bench and will be dissecting it for a Root Cause analysis as soon as things slow down.....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:37 AM   #7
smokin3000gt
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you gentlemen, I will give that a try and follow up here after in case someone else runs into the same issue.

Is this solenoid going to be prone to doing this now? I hate to be away from the house with the family and have a failure or to have to take everything apart every couple months. Would I be better off in just replacing it?
Old 07-28-2019, 10:46 AM   #8
smokin3000gt
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Follow up questoin, can I manually engage the solenoid to see if it's fixed with 12v on the work bench or does it need to be 48v?
Old 07-28-2019, 11:25 AM   #9
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
Follow up questoin, can I manually engage the solenoid to see if it's fixed with 12v on the work bench or does it need to be 48v?
It needs 48v to properly activate the field coil.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:29 AM   #10
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
Thank you gentlemen, I will give that a try and follow up here after in case someone else runs into the same issue.

Is this solenoid going to be prone to doing this now? I hate to be away from the house with the family and have a failure or to have to take everything apart every couple months. Would I be better off in just replacing it?
I have them everywhere and on so many carts. These are the first 2 I had fail like this I attributed the one on my lithium to the higher voltage prematurely weakening the coil. But now the one quit on a regular Series cart so I believe it is more in the bridge then anything. A bump (actually 3 or 4) with it jacked up and pedal depressed and it would "click" and go....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car