lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2019, 04:11 PM   #1
Kob716
Not Yet Wild

Default G2 cutting out while driving

As it says I have a g2 that runs great new to me so I don’t know a lot about it but when you drive it cuts in and out I’ll atttch a video any help appreciated thanks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_c0qSdhGgo
Kob716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2019, 04:24 PM   #2
Kob716
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G2 cutting out while driving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_c0qSdhGgo
Old 07-11-2019, 04:29 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

It sounds like it's hitting the governor. Check all of your throttle cables and linkages. It sounds like something isn't right with the engine governor?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:43 PM   #4
Kob716
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
It sounds like it's hitting the governor. Check all of your throttle cables and linkages. It sounds like something isn't right with the engine governor?
So I have my throttle cable straight to the carb do I need to go anything with the governor then?
Old 07-11-2019, 05:17 PM   #5
Kob716
Not Yet Wild

This is also at 6mph I checked with gps
Old 07-12-2019, 07:01 AM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Is this the stock engine?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:20 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

What happens if you only go half throttle?

I recall helping someone with HEI conversion not long ago because the TCI was failing. The Yamaha TCI (ignitor) for G2 has a rev limiter built into it. If you've bypassed the governor, and it's the stock engine it sounds like you're hitting rev limiter. If so, going half throttle may help?

Did it do this before you bypassed the governor? Why did you bypass it, was something wrong with it?

I believe Ron "TheNewGuy" completely removed his, he may be able to offer some advice. I always try to keep everything working like stock, but I'm not a speed demon.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:44 AM   #8
Kob716
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
What happens if you only go half throttle?

I recall helping someone with HEI conversion not long ago because the TCI was failing. The Yamaha TCI (ignitor) for G2 has a rev limiter built into it. If you've bypassed the governor, and it's the stock engine it sounds like you're hitting rev limiter. If so, going half throttle may help?

Did it do this before you bypassed the governor? Why did you bypass it, was something wrong with it?

I believe Ron "TheNewGuy" completely removed his, he may be able to offer some advice. I always try to keep everything working like stock, but I'm not a speed demon.
It runs fine at half throttle everything over it cuts out intermittently but very consistently. Did the same with governor
Old 07-12-2019, 11:11 AM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Sounds like the TCI is going bad and hitting the rev limiter, causing it to cut out/break up.

You could try the HEI conversion. Don't cut the factory harness, just run your own wires so it is reversible if that's not it. There's no way to test the TCI other than swap in a new one. A new one from Yamaha is $350 and they're not returnable if that's not it. Aftermarket ones are garbage, not worth your time to even try.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...ml#post1498533

If you just temp use male spade terminals in the TCI/Ignitor connector, you should be able to temporarily install a chrysler HEI conversion at least to test. If it works, then great, you can cut/splice then to make it permanent, or order a new OEM TCI if you prefer. If not, just unplug, return, and we can continue with trying to see if something else is going on... But I'd bet dollars to donuts the rev limiter is kicking in and causing your issues.

There's no rev limiter built into the chrysler parts so I would recommend reconnecting everything back to the governor so you don't break the motor revving too high on accident...
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:59 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

6mph hitting the Rev limiter? You must have clutch/belt problems.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha