lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2014, 07:41 AM   #1
pmangr
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Battery watering question.

I know you are supposed to charge the cart and then water the batteries while they are still heated from the charging. But it takes several hours and I mostly miss when it finishes.

So my question is this. Can I just charge for 2 hours and then fill the batteries? and resume charging? Or do I have to check my cart every 15 minutes? lol

-Paul
pmangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2014, 08:08 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Battery watering question.

Water them after charging. They don't have to be warm. (they should not get warm anyway when charging) The act of charging raises the levels slightly. If you fill them before charging, they can overflow and make a mess. If they are too low (plates exposed) you can add some water before charging but don't fill them to the proper fill level until after charging.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:12 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Add water to the batteries after they have been charged, unless the plates are exposed, then add only enough distilled water to cover plates and fill to correct level after charging is completed.

You don't have to top off the water immediately after charging, just do it before using the cart again.

If you are charging the batteries after each use, like you ought to be, just periodically check the levels and add water as needed, immediately before using the cart.

---------
The batteries do heat up a bit while charging, so the electrolyte does expand some, but the electrolyte volume actually "Grows" during charging and the combination of those two makes it very easy to overfill a partially discharged battery.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:47 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

With 10 carts here I don't always fill battery water after a charge. I fill 1/4 inch above the plates and don't have a boil over problem regardless of when I fill.
I error on the side of not overfilling and check levels often due to our hot dry climate.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:09 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
With 10 carts here I don't always fill battery water after a charge. I fill 1/4 inch above the plates and don't have a boil over problem regardless of when I fill.
I error on the side of not overfilling and check levels often due to our hot dry climate.
Good Grief - You average more degree-days above 77°F than Phoenix. (6151 vs 2538 - Annual average for 2009 thru 2013)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:08 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I remember when my cars' and van's batteries had to be filled. I'm used to the "fill line". Southeast, but nowhere as hot as there.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:51 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yeah - it's hitting 100 everyday right now ..... Who needs summer when you can go out in a T shirt on Christmas day?

We dread summer like you guys dread the dead of winter.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:34 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

On a bad Winter, the "Dead of Winter" lasts 5 days. Then we're back in short sleeves and bare-footed, but we darn sure don't know how to drive in ice around here.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO