lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2008, 09:11 PM   #1
johnnybubu
Not Yet Wild

Default just rebuilt/ a couple ???

got my '76 HD running today and it actually cranked right up. Bored cyl to .30 over, new piston, rings, gaskets, muffler, condensor, points were pretty good so just cleaned them up,new air filter, fuel line, fuel filter, coil, plug wire, and plug. Like I said it ran pretty well, had to choke at first, but once it fires up it runs nicely. There are two areas of concern, the fuel filter is one of the large see through ones, and it won't fill all the way up, so the motor is sometimes starved for fuel, and the other thing is the starter gen I got a new one from e-bay, its a knock off but the price is nice. It seems though , that the starter gen gets pretty hot, how common is this? After running it about 10 minutes it was almost too hot to touch. Any suggestions?
johnnybubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: just rebuilt/ a couple ???

The filter will never fill up. !/4 to 1/2 full is normal. Make sure the check valve on the end of the fuel line (at the bottom of the tank) is working. I'm not sure about the start/gen motor but that sounds too ho. Is the regulator charging right? Not too much or? Put an amp meter on it and check it! Also you can check charging voltage it should be around 14.5 volts to 14.5 volts across the battery when running around 3500 RPM with charging current about 2 amps with the battery fully charged. You are going to need a service manual to troubleshoot much more!
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:44 AM   #3
johnnybubu
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, I'll look into that, I was wondering if I had my starter belt too tight, how much slack should be in it?
Old 04-12-2008, 08:32 AM   #4
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

6# of pressure should deflect the belt 1/8th inch if you have a ridged mount. Your 76 should have a spring loaded tensioner that should eliminate adjustment. So if the belt slips it may be worn out.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:39 AM   #5
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I forgot you have a different starter/generator so you may not have the original mount so the 1/8th deflection for 6 pounds of pressure will be correct! But you still have to have the proper or matching regulator to work with your system. Or just set up the charging rate which may be difficult. Also you might check the generator and regulator specifications and directions of use.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
johnnybubu
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, I will try to find the specs in the shop manual when I get home today. I do have the spring mount so that should be alright. Not sure about the rugulator, or the solenoid or the other thing there mounted to the battery tray, as they were there when I got the cart.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:36 PM   #7
johnnybubu
Not Yet Wild

man thanks a bundle, I had replaced the bosch starter with a hitachi, and still had the bosch regulator on it, thankfully I only ran it about 10 minutes, I found a used one and I am putting it on today, then I am going to order a new one. I appreciate the help.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:18 PM   #8
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

If the used one works, Keep it. It will be good.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #9
johnnybubu
Not Yet Wild

thanks, it works, i think, now i cant get the darn thing to run, it will crank for a few minutes and then try to fire, but it just seems to be starving for fuel, could it be my mixture? I used multi ratio synthetic, maybe too rich? it like it wants to start, it just wont/ I even put a buld on because i thought it was loosing prime, but to no avail. The carb has just been rebuilt, dont know what else to try. makin me crazy
Old 04-15-2008, 10:30 PM   #10
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Any premium 2 cycle oil will work just fine. The mixture should be 1 to 1 1/2 oil per gallon of gas. I use 1 oz per gallon to minimize muffler contamination and carbon build up. When I think I have a fuel shortage problem, I unscrew the spark plug and put a squirt of fuel mixture in the cylinder and screw the plug in and see if it will run briefly. If it does run you are definitly not getting enough fuel. Then troubleshoot the fuel delivery system!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson