lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2019, 02:59 AM   #31
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Dreaded Yellow Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefili View Post
I took the cart for a ride this morning, after a 16 hour charge pack voltage was 50.9 and individual bats were: 8.54 8.53 8.51 8.38 8.54 8.48

Went for a 5-6 mile ride with 4 adults aboard, returned home with the yellow light flashing.
Individual batteries were: 8.29 8.28 8.27 8.09 8.31 8.24 pack voltage 49.5

Batteries shot?
Right now on charger bouncing between 55.9 and 56
Batteries are 3 years old next month,
Your batteries are certainly not strong but they are reasonably well balanced except for battery 4 being a bit down on the others. As a comparison, the last time I measured mine about a month ago (after a full charge then 12 hours rest) it was Pack: 51.4 and batteries: 8.56, 8.59, 8.53, 8.61, 8.61, 8.56. My batteries are three years old. My pack still measures about 51V after 18 holes of golf on a fairly flat but long course.

I firmly believe that you will get some extra use from that pack if you invest in a Save-a-Battery. Do a full charge with your CC charger then disconnect it and connect the Save-a-Battery. You can leave it on for as long as you like. My batteries were showing signs of weakening at one stage and I did that. It rejuvinated them nicely. Now I just do it now and then and it keeps them topped up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Save a Battery mid.jpg (177.3 KB, 0 views)
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-01-2019, 04:58 PM   #32
Mikefili
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post
Your batteries are certainly not strong but they are reasonably well balanced except for battery 4 being a bit down on the others. As a comparison, the last time I measured mine about a month ago (after a full charge then 12 hours rest) it was Pack: 51.4 and batteries: 8.56, 8.59, 8.53, 8.61, 8.61, 8.56. My batteries are three years old. My pack still measures about 51V after 18 holes of golf on a fairly flat but long course.

I firmly believe that you will get some extra use from that pack if you invest in a Save-a-Battery. Do a full charge with your CC charger then disconnect it and connect the Save-a-Battery. You can leave it on for as long as you like. My batteries were showing signs of weakening at one stage and I did that. It rejuvinated them nicely. Now I just do it now and then and it keeps them topped up.
Thank you so much for that suggestion, very interesting fact.
When I first plug in the charger will get up to 55 or 56 volts output as measured from pack voltage after about 20 minutes or so, if I allow it to charge for 12 or 16 hours the charger will reduce its output as is should to about 50.1 and the pack will be 50.1 also.
If I unplug it after 2 or 3 hours the charger will still be putting 55 or so volts and the pack will be at around 53.
Should a 12 or 16 hour charge result in lower pack voltage than 3 hours?
Also the batteries rarely seem to need water, and I keep a good eye on the water level checking it just about every time I use it.
Mikefili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:08 PM   #33
Mikefili
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Thank you so much for that suggestion, very interesting fact.
When I first plug in the charger will get up to 55 or 56 volts output as measured from pack voltage after about 20 minutes or so, if I allow it to charge for 12 or 16 hours the charger will reduce its output as is should to about 50.1 and the pack will be 50.1 also.
If I unplug it after 2 or 3 hours the charger will still be putting 55 or so volts and the pack will be at around 53.
Should a 12 or 16 hour charge result in lower pack voltage than 3 hours?
Also the batteries rarely seem to need water, and I keep a good eye on the water level checking it just about every time I use it.
Thank you Yawood, does the SaveABattery take the place on the club car charger, when and how do you use it? Do you think it will get my pack voltage higher than 50.1?
Mikefili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:12 AM   #34
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Thank you Yawood, does the SaveABattery take the place on the club car charger, when and how do you use it? Do you think it will get my pack voltage higher than 50.1?
No it does not take the place of the CC charger. The CC charger is able to provide a much higher amperage than the Save-a-Battery and this higher amperage gets the batteries bubbling and stirs up the chemicals. The Save-a-Battery is a float charge but it also has a pulsating action (so I'm told) which helps break down sulfation.

I give mine a CC charge first then I disconnect the CC charger and connect the Save-a-Battery and just let it sit for a few days or until I next use the cart. After doing this for a couple of months I found that the batteries were showing more healthy readings.

You need to be realistic though. Your batteries are weak and are on their way out but I truly believe that this regime with the Save-a-Battery will give you some more time before you need to replace them. I think it is worth a try.

Keep a check on the water as this regime might mean that they use a little more.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:20 AM   #35
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

Just an fyi on multimeters...Although I have a Fluke 87v which I use all the time..I use this 50.00 clamp meter that reads dc amps..Hard to find a clamp on meter that reads dc amps especially in this price range..Very useful to clamp around around battery cables to read charging amps plus it does all the functions you need...It's not a Fluke but for the money it is a good little meter...

https://www.amazon.com/UNI-T-Digital...a-825340133445
movin-on is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:10 AM   #36
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on View Post
Just an fyi on multimeters...Although I have a Fluke 87v which I use all the time..I use this 50.00 clamp meter that reads dc amps..Hard to find a clamp on meter that reads dc amps especially in this price range..Very useful to clamp around around battery cables to read charging amps plus it does all the functions you need...It's not a Fluke but for the money it is a good little meter...
Good idea. I've got a clamp meter somewhere, I'll have to dig it out. I can't remember if it does DC amps but it is not a cheap meter so it might.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car