lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-23-2019, 12:06 PM   #21
Mikefili
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Dreaded Yellow Light

The saga continues, I borrowed a charger from a friend, same charger that yarwood put in post #7 photo which is the same charger I have. When first plugged in his charger goes up to more than 60 volts, and the batteries begin to slightly bubble, my charger first plugged in will go to 54 volte, these numbers are from the onboard digital gauge. As the charge continues the pack voltage diminishes as would be expected and yesterday setteled after 24 hours at 49.9, I am guessing way too low. I then used the cart with that beginning voltage and did not go 6 miles before the yellow light started blinking and shortly went solid yellow. I have found that if I unplug the charger after a 16 or more hour charge, wait a few minutes and the plug in again the charge voltage will show 52 or so across the pack, if I let it charge for a bit that way prior to use, unplug my pack voltage will 51.9 or so and all will be good.
I thought that I would see a big difference with the borrowed charger, somethings are a little different such as 60 volts initially as opposed to 53 but the ultimate finished pack voltage is about the same, curious how I can trick the charger to increase the useable pack voltage from 49 or so to 51 or so by unplugging for a few minutes and then repluging, amazing how many super knowledgeable members here willing to listen to this long drawn out story and offer help. I am so long drawn out in an attempt to provide as much info as possible.
Batteries are Trojan 875 manufactured K16 almost 3 years old . When they come off charge using the double plug in method they all measure 9.6 or so, not using the double plug in they measure 8.65 or so. I know if I bring it to local dealer they will say it needs batteries, controlle, motor, tires and wheels replaced. Only joking, well maybe not joking. Please tell me your thoughts
Mikefili is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-23-2019, 12:48 PM   #22
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Did you try what Sergio asked in post #16 about reading the ERIC charger information with USB stick?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:34 PM   #23
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

So your charger charged the batteries to 51.9 volts. After 24 hours the batteries were down to 49.9. You don't need a dealer to tell you your batteries are shot. I will, your batteries are shot, bit the stick and buy a new set of batteries and your yellow light will work correctly.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 04:12 AM   #24
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

I agree with Mr Golf. I would say that those batteries have not been particularly well looked after and are basically beyond it. My 3-year old US Battery pack still shows over 50V at the end of 18 holes of golf, and my light never comes on.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 06:09 PM   #25
Mikefili
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post
I agree with Mr Golf. I would say that those batteries have not been particularly well looked after and are basically beyond it. My 3-year old US Battery pack still shows over 50V at the end of 18 holes of golf, and my light never comes on.
I actually have taken very good care of the maintenance, never exhausted the pack, cleaned posts regularly, never ran any cells too low etc. only added water with distilled etc. I am a stickler with everything I own and I really think that the battery care and maintenance has been 100%. right now the pack on the charger is showing 56.2 volts, after plugging it in two times. tomorrow I an going to take the cover off the controller and see what it is. I have posted the controller serial number in a prior post. I may be mistaken Werther it started out life as a 13 or a 14, Dave from revolution said the members reference A 2014, can anyone tell me how to post photos? I think that would make this much easier.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:50 AM   #26
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefili View Post
I actually have taken very good care of the maintenance, never exhausted the pack, cleaned posts regularly, never ran any cells too low etc. only added water with distilled etc. I am a stickler with everything I own and I really think that the battery care and maintenance has been 100%. right now the pack on the charger is showing 56.2 volts, after plugging it in two times. tomorrow I an going to take the cover off the controller and see what it is. I have posted the controller serial number in a prior post. I may be mistaken Werther it started out life as a 13 or a 14, Dave from revolution said the members reference A 2014, can anyone tell me how to post photos? I think that would make this much easier.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you don't look after your things. I thought that you had bought the buggy and didn't know its history.

To post photos, click on the paper clip symbol (when you are composing your reply) and a pop up window will allow you to browse your computer for the photo you want. You then press upload and when you review your post you should see the photo attached. It is best if you don't upload full size photos as their large size will make them slow.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 02:52 AM   #27
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I think your charger has some issues, and your batteries are on the way out because of that. Tell us more about the cart's performance. Forget about the light for a bit.

Is it lasting as it should?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:45 PM   #28
Mikefili
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
As long as You have a White Controller and not a Gray one, You are fine.

Water on the light would not make it come ON since it uses a High Side driver, so it needs +48v.

The Pin in the Controller that activates the light is #11 (Blue/Yellow wire), the pin right beside it, #10 (Tan wire) is +48v from key switch so if You get water on the controller connector is possible to get the light to activate.

Otherwise it is an indication the voltage is getting too low as You are driving the cart and the batteries can not deliver the current being demanded.
Thank you Sergio, today I removed the torx screw from the top of the aluminum cover and inside is what I think is the controller, it is white, well maybe a little off whit but not gray. You said if it is white then I am OK, meaning I have the correct charger?
Old 11-29-2019, 08:52 PM   #29
Mikefili
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
I think your charger has some issues, and your batteries are on the way out because of that. Tell us more about the cart's performance. Forget about the light for a bit.

Is it lasting as it should?
The cart has a D&D high speed motor with 23” tires, it runs 26 mph all the time and has seen more with one person and the windshield down. I took voltages today and are this. 8.45 8.53 8.51 8.38 8.54 8.48 and pack voltage of 50.9

This is after being charged
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B89A9A7C-6D47-46C8-92DC-4C998D6BECC8.jpg (117.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-30-2019, 03:16 PM   #30
Mikefili
Getting Wild
Club Car

I took the cart for a ride this morning, after a 16 hour charge pack voltage was 50.9 and individual bats were: 8.54 8.53 8.51 8.38 8.54 8.48

Went for a 5-6 mile ride with 4 adults aboard, returned home with the yellow light flashing.
Individual batteries were: 8.29 8.28 8.27 8.09 8.31 8.24 pack voltage 49.5

Batteries shot?
Right now on charger bouncing between 55.9 and 56
Batteries are 3 years old next month,
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car