lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2019, 02:18 PM   #1
reeseman44
QualityCarts

Club Car

Default Navitas ac conversion kit

Has anyone done this on their club car?
What performance and range are you getting, and with what setup (tire size, battery age and model)
reeseman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2019, 05:34 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Navitas ac conversion kit

Reese, I'd love to help you but I've never used one of the Navitas kits. But I'll give you a courtesy bump.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:16 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The only one I've seen done personally was a strrrretched 8 Seat Precedent.
I dunno which Navitas kit it was exactly but it had the control panel with the adjustment knobs.
Stock tire size, with the power turned it would chirp the tires on take-off, top end it was running well over 30mph, and was running about 28 going uphill. Brand new Trojan 875s, and On-board Lester Summit II. How long the pack lasts I have no idea. It was built to be a shuttle for a wedding venue, they wanted it to have gobs of power for climbing hills while it was loaded with people.
Also had a ton of LED lights mounted in the roof, custom painted body and seat pods, and a fold down enclosure for rainy days, so they spent some $$$$$ on it.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #4
Pismoflyer
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Club-Car-Pr...135b%7Ciid%3A1
Pismoflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:26 AM   #5
alangsam
Getting Wild

I’m considering it. Right now I have the alltrax 400 regen and fsip motor.
In a 2018 stretch precedent. Runs great to 28-29 with stock
Tires however it kills my range.
From what I understand these ac setups pull less current and the motors can spin to 9000 rpm max where the fsip needs to stay closer to low 6000 ( I have it limited to 6100)

If they do indeed pull a lot less current when cruising then the difference in cost of the kits (ac vs dc) would wind up being less than lithium batteries
alangsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:29 AM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

From my prior experience with much smaller AC brushless motors, there is a drastic difference in power consumption over a comparable power DC motor setup. I would expect anything from 10 - 30% (depending on how you drive the cart) increase in range over a DC motor. There is significantly less friction in the design because there are no brushes to slow the rotation of the armature. And because of the design of the motors there is less loss of energy due to heat because of the way the field coils are designed, and that there is no current having to pass across brush contact points to get to the armature. Less heat + less friction = more energy efficient from the start.

AC motors can actually regenerate a small amount of current that can be fed back into the batteries while the motor is running under power. Every revolution of the motor leaves one field coil un-powered and the magnetic field change through that coil is used to partly determine armature angle, which is useful for alot of functions of the controller, and is also useful because that change in the magnetic field sends a little bit of power back to the controller. If the controller is configured properly, it can reclaim some of that and put it back to the batteries, even while you're still pressing the go pedal.

I considered one of these Navitas AC kits for a project I'm looking into. I'm not entirely convinced of the reliability of the Navitas setup at this point. If Alltrax had one I wouldn't think twice.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:06 PM   #7
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post

I considered one of these Navitas AC kits for a project I'm looking into. I'm not entirely convinced of the reliability of the Navitas setup at this point. If Alltrax had one I wouldn't think twice.
Does Navitas have a bad reputation or reliability record? I know Alltrax is generally the preferred brand on the forum, but don't know exactly why.

I've more or less come to the conclusion that if I go Club Car (instead of one of the AC alternatives), I'd go with the Navitas AC conversion as the cost over the Alltrax and fsip motor isn't astronomical.

Wouldn't want to get into a controller (or motor) that is not of good quality, or has a poor track record. I've only seen the sales literature, but it looks like there are no heat sinks on the controller. Seems like it should have them... and maybe even a fan, since it's a 600a controller.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:09 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstop View Post
I know Alltrax is generally the preferred brand on the forum, but don't know exactly why.
Reliable. American Made. Two year warranty. And the best customer service in the business.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:03 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstop View Post
Does Navitas have a bad reputation or reliability record? I know Alltrax is generally the preferred brand on the forum, but don't know exactly why.

I've more or less come to the conclusion that if I go Club Car (instead of one of the AC alternatives), I'd go with the Navitas AC conversion as the cost over the Alltrax and fsip motor isn't astronomical.

Wouldn't want to get into a controller (or motor) that is not of good quality, or has a poor track record. I've only seen the sales literature, but it looks like there are no heat sinks on the controller. Seems like it should have them... and maybe even a fan, since it's a 600a controller.
Their AC systems just haven’t been on the market for long enough IMO. Their DC Motor controllers seem to be reliable, or at least no worse off than any other brand, but there seems to be very little info about them to judge one way or the other. Navitas is a Canadian company that designs motor controllers for electric industrial vehicles, like fork lifts and factory automated transport vehicles. They’ve been in business for quite some time and seem to have a solid track record, but I think the golf cart segment must be a fairly new market for them.

The thing to remember about AC controller systems is they are more efficient from the start. So a 600A AC controller may need far less cooling capacity than a 400A DC controller because of the major difference in the way the motor works.
How they determine that rating may be different as well. Hard to say, since there is not a lot of info about them other than some sales marketing.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:46 PM   #10
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Their AC systems just haven’t been on the market for long enough IMO. Their DC Motor controllers seem to be reliable, or at least no worse off than any other brand, but there seems to be very little info about them to judge one way or the other. Navitas is a Canadian company that designs motor controllers for electric industrial vehicles, like fork lifts and factory automated transport vehicles. They’ve been in business for quite some time and seem to have a solid track record, but I think the golf cart segment must be a fairly new market for them.

The thing to remember about AC controller systems is they are more efficient from the start. So a 600A AC controller may need far less cooling capacity than a 400A DC controller because of the major difference in the way the motor works.
How they determine that rating may be different as well. Hard to say, since there is not a lot of info about them other than some sales marketing.
I agree - very little info out there - but really surprising that they offer a product like this AC conversion kit and nobody (it seems) on this forum - likely their target market for this kit - has bought one.

Even the stock EZGO RXV 235 amp (I think) AC controller has some heat sinks if I recall - I see your point though, that it's a different animal.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car