lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-20-2007, 07:40 AM   #1
Blue Chip
Gone Wild

Default Motor / Controller - First Impressions

I'll post up as I move along with this setup - hopefully someone can gain some information from this....

The box from D&D showed up last night. First thing that I noticed.... it's HEAVY! The motor is significantly heavier than the stock motor.

The other thing - they know how to package this stuff.... good Lord man - there must be $15.00 in packaging alone in this!

I'm hoping that I get started on it today.

Will keep you all posted.
Blue Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-20-2007, 10:49 AM   #2
gamer1
Getting Wild

Default Re: Motor / Controller - First Impressions

It will be an interesting read....thanks for sharing.
gamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 07:37 AM   #3
Blue Chip
Gone Wild

Alright... I don't have a ton of time right now.... but.......

Motor and controller are both in and in working order.

The motor was VERY easy to install... I used a lifting strap and made a bridal so I could lower it in place. Once there - 3 bolts... EZPZ.

The controller is a different issue. DO NOT plan to speed through this on your first rodeo. Being expensive and electrical - those two things go hand in hand with being deliberate, cautious, and methodical.

The only hang up that I really had was the solenoid.... apparently they aren't very selective as to which wires need to go where.... I scratched my head for a bit - but if you write down where the wires went to begin with - it realy is as simple as plug and play.

Honestly - the hardest part of this job was to physically turn the nuts and bolts. It's that easy.

Now - I would also be remiss if I left out the part that I stared at this thing for 1.5 hours because I couldn't get it to run....

Then my father in law shows up and asks the magic question... "Hey - what's that plug for?" I felt like the biggest dumbass in the world.....

After that it was running....

I will post up some actual numbers once I get the GPS back from F.I.L. Initial thoughts.... "Hmmmm... I thought it would be faster." Of course I got the 500amp controller and a motor that is a nice blend of torque and speed so I knew that low to mid 20's was realistic.... I also tested at night with 3/4 charge... I'll say this though... 2 guys at 220 and 245 pounds - stopped mid way on a 45 degree embankment. The tires were losing traction while we were parked. Smacked the Go pedal - and accellerated the entire way up the hill.... "Got Torque?"

It's charged now though. I will test and report later.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:10 AM   #4
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

Quote:
Honestly - the hardest part of this job was to physically turn the nuts and bolts. It's that easy.
The lack of that knowledge, and the lack of people wanting to do it themself keep a few people fed around here..
phasetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:02 PM   #5
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

I can vouch for that. Around here, there are mostly "My buddy knows carts" issues and pure guesswork. I love to tell people that their buddy turned a $10 job into a $1,000 job. That's the only way they'll learn.
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 12:26 AM   #6
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

Quote:
. I love to tell people that their buddy turned a $10 job into a $1,000 job. That's the only way they'll learn.
I've thanked the "buddies" personally for the boost in business this month before :-)
phasetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:23 AM   #7
gamer1
Getting Wild

All the skilled buggy mechanics that belong to this forum should be commended for giving free advice to the ones that are trying to do it themselves. I am sure that the old saying "what goes around comes around" applies here.
gamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 08:49 AM   #8
Blue Chip
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer1 View Post
All the skilled buggy mechanics that belong to this forum should be commended for giving free advice to the ones that are trying to do it themselves. I am sure that the old saying "what goes around comes around" applies here.
100%.

Let me say this though... I would have NEVER tried this if I hadn't been a marine electronics installer and rigger. I probably wouldn't reccomend this if you aren't 100% sure of your abilities. Mt post was simply to state that if you are a fairly inclined person with some mechanical aptitude... have at it.

On to the important stuff... PERFORMANCE

This cart had a speed chip already... so it was an 18mph cart.

After all is said and done... Let's just say that I need to get the GPS today to see if there was ANY gain in speed. Torque is better - but a far cry from what I was expecting. 2 adult males 225 plus pounds is where it really makes a difference.

To put it in perspective I put this cart up against the stock 2007 PDS with a speed chip.... almost dead even in every category except the 2 person hill climb.

I will gps and post results... also going on the d and d site to look at the settings. I hope thats what it is!
Old 12-23-2007, 10:50 AM   #9
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Blue Chip, what is the new motor's RPM rating @ 36v?

All things being equal, if the RPM's don't increase neither does the speed.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:16 PM   #10
Blue Chip
Gone Wild

It's the 76-51...

I'll have to look it up... not sure.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO