lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
Mac B.
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default G2 rattle

We were riding tonight and everything was fine and then the G2 started making a rattling sound like a loose bolt on the muffler or something. I checked it out and it only does it at low rpm's in forward, neutral and reverse. At wide open throttle it is fine. I just replaced the shifter cables as some of you know and that is the only changes I have made. I looked at the clutch also and everything looks good. The clutch is a replacement from CPP and about 8 months old. It does have some play when I try to move the clutch though, is this normal. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks Mac
Mac B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: G2 rattle

Check your cable adjustment back at the rear axle area and make sure it is completely going into forward and reverse. You may need to adjust them at the shifter as well. If they are not adjusted correctly, it can cause the rear axle to not fully engage and grind the gears. It will sound almost like the engine is knocking and may be intermitent at times. Let us know if this is not the problem.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
Mac B.
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the reply Spriddle but would it still rattle in neutral too? I will look at the cable adjustment tomorrow though.

Thanks Mac
Old 04-27-2009, 09:06 PM   #4
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Check the lever on the axle. If it's off by one tooth, it can cause this. It may not be this since it does it in neutral too.

List everything you did to the cart before you noticed this.

The bolts that attach the engine to axle frame can get loose as well: two 13 or 14 mm if I remember correctly just under the muffler. Also check you motor mounts, they may be broke (the inner rubber part): two up front and two in the back attached to a bar. See if you can make it rattle without the engine running.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
Mac B.
Getting Wild
Yamaha

So you don't think it is the clutch then? I hope it is not.

Thanks Mac
Old 04-27-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac B. View Post
So you don't think it is the clutch then? I hope it is not.

Thanks Mac
The only reason I didn't mention it was you stated it was new. But yes, it could very well be a broken weight in the drive clutch. I broke one last year on my cart (stock clutch). Most of the time they will vibrate at high rpm and will not pull at all.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

When you hear this rattle, does it affect the way the cart runs or pulls (speed/torque)? Anything with the drive ability at all?

Old 04-27-2009, 11:30 PM   #8
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I am probably wrong but ( I'm going to open my big mouth anyhoo ) It sounds to me like the driven clutch may be worn and loose. I have had one that was that way!
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:01 AM   #9
Mac B.
Getting Wild
Yamaha

It pulls the same and is just as fast as it ever was. I did several wide open blasts last night and everything seems the same. I will look at the driven clutch today. I had put the new torque spring in about 6 months ago.

Thanks Mac
Old 04-28-2009, 06:57 AM   #10
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

When it comes to a rattle with no apparent change in the way something drives, it could be anything. One of my first jobs ever at a dealership was finding and repairing windnoises, rattles, and waterleaks. Believe me when I say it could be anywhere and anything.

Example: I had a GMC truck that had a rattle in the dash at high speeds. Wouldn't do it all the time but every so often as soon as you hit 65 mph it would start. We thought it was everything from the speed odometer to a cracked or improperly sealed windshield. Maybe the front trim piece under the wipers, some relay under the dash loose, etc... Did everything but rebuild the truck. Guess what it ended up being?? After about two weeks of vigorous work, headaches, arguments, tylenol, and contemplating by several mechanics and supervisors, I finally found it. The owner's kid had dropped a very small lego down one of the vents.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha