lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2019, 08:24 PM   #21
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Just bought a Melex 666, question about voltage

Solenoid should be marked somewhere.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-20-2019, 08:38 AM   #22
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If it were mine, and you know the motor is good, I'd probably scrap the controller and solenoid and start over. Get an alltrax controller, if you're gonna replace it you may as well get something you can work with down the road for future upgrades. Get a HD solenoid, the extra capacity wont hurt and the price difference is negligible. new wires (who knows how old the current ones are), batteries, and charger. That would set you up nicely for future upgrades should you determine the motor just ain't cutting it, or if it fails for whatever reason and you have already built it with headroom for a high performance motor.

Just one man's opinion anyway. If you know you need to replace most of what's in there, I'd start with a clean slate and assume nothing in there is any good.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:47 AM   #23
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Another thought on top of that suggestion is to ditch the motor as well. Depending on your plans a sepex setup is much less of a headache and with today’s newer motors probably close to being as much torque.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:30 PM   #24
Mblaze001
Not Yet Wild

I certainly appreciate all the advice from everyone, and it may be that I will eventually end up replacing most of the wiring, but...

At this point I just want to get it running with minimal investment, so will reuse parts until I need to replace; I'm retired and on a fixed income, so have more time than money, and want to stay married.

That being said, I don't want to spend money twice. So what makes the AllTrax controllers worth 2-3 times as much as a replacement Curtis controller?

I intend to use this for getting out to a hunting spot, maybe carrying decoys back and forth, or a deer, usually in the cold. Not for ferrying passengers or transporting clubs through 18 holes. Wouldn't the Curtis handle that OK?

Thanks,

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cart Exterior.JPG (56.1 KB, 0 views)
Mblaze001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:36 AM   #25
Mblaze001
Not Yet Wild

As an update to this old thread, just wanted to say that I eventually decided to scrap the old controller, solenoid, cables as suggested above. Good advice!
Went with an Alltrax SR48500, HD solenoid, 2 gauge cable. Cart ran well for a while until the old F/R switch contacts gave out. My son is responsible for the new paint scheme and tires and wheels. We’re completing the wiring for all the added lighting and switch bank over the next few days. Pictures attached, both before and after.

Got the controller and solenoid plus excellent advice and directions from ScottyB from CartsUnlimited. Much appreciated.

As far as the F/R switch, I will probably end up with a reversing solenoid but I decided to replace the copper contact studs in the existing switch first, since the mechanism is in pretty good shape. Seems to work pretty good but a bit stiff to begin with; will have to see how the contacts hold up to the potentially higher current.

I do have a question about using any type of lubricant for those copper studs. Should I use some type of conductive grease? Any recommendations will be welcome.

Thanks for all the advice offered previously.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E73460B7-9A04-4B8A-AD46-CE023C910C61.jpg (153.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 94F3487C-E4FD-40E2-99C0-42984946F7F2.jpg (165.8 KB, 0 views)
Mblaze001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
48 volt car, melex 666
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts