lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #101
jgentleman
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Programming Curtis Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3joker View Post
I'm still struggling to get the cable working on my controller.

I get a continuous beep from the controller when I connect it to the PC then when I reverse the TX and RX it stops either way round it fails to connect.

I've tried both the configurations posted:

Molex ------------- DB-9
RX 1---------------- 3 Computer TX
B- 2--------------- 9 Signal Ground
TX 3---------------- 2 Computer RX
+15 4---------------- No Connection

And:

Molex ------------- DB-9
B- 2--------------- 5 Signal Ground
Hi, did you get this working?
jgentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-09-2010, 10:44 PM   #102
jfbrink
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Joel,

My cable is nothing pretty to look at, but it works and offers some good functionality (i.e. it can be made very long or very short because I use a standard phone cable in the middle).

From the computer, my sequence runs:

1. USB cable ->
2. Keyspan USB-Serial adapter (P/N USA-19HS) ->
3. DB-9 Female to RJ11 Female adapter ->
4. Phone cable with 4 leads (must have all 4) ->
5. P-4 power adapter cable ->
6. Controller

The throughput I used to wire these things together is this one from the "Programming Curtis Controller" thread:

Molex ------------- DB-9
B- 2--------------- 5 Signal Ground

Bear in mind that the positions of the "Molex" pins are as follows (looking at the END OF THE PLUG, with the LOCKING TAB AT THE TOP):

Molex:

3 TX 4 +15 (unused)
1 RX 2 B-

The pin numbering for the DB-9 should be printed right on the plug somewhere.

As for using the iPhone as the interface/control unit, that seems like a load of hassle compared to running a really long phone cord from your computer to your cart. It can be done. The Serial protocol is essentially already implemented in the iPhone cable (http://devdot.wikispaces.com/Iphone+...+Port+Tutorial). But, programming the UI and figuring out how the data is encoded/sequenced on the controller would be a big reverse-engineering job unless your knowledge of such things is pretty deep.

Jesse.
jfbrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:10 PM   #103
boostaholic
Not Yet Wild

Hi,

New member here. Have anyone got a 1238 to program with a usb to serial adapter? I made my cable with 3 pins going directly to the controller's ground pin, pin 28 and 29. I can see the controller sending rpm values out when I open my serial monitor in the computer, but when I try to connect the device with the curtis programmer, it always says communication error with controller.

Please help.
boostaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:39 PM   #104
jfbrink
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Is anyone else doing this on a bench, with the controller out of the cart?

I've found (with my 1510A-5250) that I unless I send ~5V to the "pedal high" pin, the software will not connect to the controller. Is this some sort of safety thing -- like you can't do diagnostics unless the pedal is not pressed?

Of course, I accidentally sent 48V to that pin a couple days ago & fried a resistor on my logic board. Here's hoping that when I replace it, it proves to be the only component damaged.

Jesse.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:08 AM   #105
ElVeBu68
Not Yet Wild

Cool Re: Programming Curtis Controller

Yeah, I'm going to.

I just bought exact this controller and as far as I do not have any car to build an EV from I will run this as experimental environment on my bench.

So I enjoyed reading this thread up to its end and as soon as my controller arrives I will tell if or how it works.

read you then

ElVeBu68
ElVeBu68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #106
jfbrink
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hey, man.

If you want to take a look at the much-simplified version of the wiring diagram for the 1510A-5250 controller that I've worked out, drop me a PM. It might be of help to you and I'd be curious to get feedback on it.

Best,

Jesse.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:03 AM   #107
JULIOFERMIN
Not Yet Wild

Wink Re: Programming Curtis Controller

Hello,i'm new in this forum,but i have a problem,i saw how all the guys here are making the connection between the curtis controller and the pc by rs232 interface,i was trying to do it like i saw in the post and not result,i'm using a molex 4 pins connector well identified and connected to my old pc via a db9 cable using the 1311 software,all i get is comunication error(23)in the screen,i will apreciate if anyone in the forum can help me to fix this problem,i need to comunicate a curtis 1214 controller and a 1244 with my pc using the 1311 soft,thanks
JULIOFERMIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:17 AM   #108
JULIOFERMIN
Not Yet Wild

Dear friend,can you post something above the comunication cable between pc annd curtis controller 1244,i tried many times and not result,thanks
Old 05-04-2010, 07:03 AM   #109
SeanECE
Not Yet Wild

Julio,

I am in the same boat. I am not sure if my serial baud rate is incorrect or what. My db-9 is wired exactly like this thread says. I have also swapped the RX and TX lines for poops and grins to test if my lines are backwards. Any wise words of advice would be greatly appreciated.
SeanECE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:32 AM   #110
JULIOFERMIN
Not Yet Wild

SEANECE,I'M TRYING TO CONTACT A FEW HERE IN TEH FORUM BUT NOBODY RESPONSE ABOVE IT,I HAVE A CURTIS 1244 CONTROLLER WITH THE 1314 SOFT,I'M WIRED THE MOLEX 4 PLUG TO MY DB9 SERIAL,I ALSO TRIED WITH THE USB-SERIAL CONVERTER,NOTHING HAPPENS,SEEMS LIKE THERE IS SOMETHING HIDE BESIDE ALL THIS INFORMATION,MY EMAIL IS ferminjulio@hotmail.com
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts