lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2018, 05:17 AM   #1
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Question Ride Quality in Relation to Wheel Diameter and Tire Size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
I've noticed recently that my '90 cart (on the right) rides noticeably more comfortably and is much quieter than my '87 (on the left). I don't remember my '87 being generally loud and uncomfortable before I put 10" wheels and 22s on it; and swapped my 8" wheel/tire setup over to the '90 (but then I had no basis for comparison). I suspect that the issue my be wheel/tire related. I may have to swap the wheels/tires on the carts and see if the ride characteristics swap over as well. The 22" tires on my '87 cart have a larger,wider contact patch, as well as shorter sidewalls than the 22.5" tires on my '90.

Wheel/tire specs for both carts are in my signature below. The wheels/tires currently on the '90 used to be on the '87 until this year.

Anyone out there notice a comfort difference when switching from 8" wheels with 22" or larger tires to 10" wheels on the same diameter tires? I know that the 10" wheels look better to most people, but if I have sacrifice some of the ride quality then I may switch back to an 8" wheel setup (and fat, cushion-y sidewalls!)
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-09-2018, 05:44 AM   #2
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: Ride Quality in Relation to Wheel Diameter and Tire Size?

air pressure?
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:47 AM   #3
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Taller sidewalls will give a more comfortable ride than shorter sidewalls. All other things being equal.

This week I am switching from 22x11-8 4ply all terrains to 23x10.5-12 6ply all terrain tires and wheels. I expect to give up ride comfort for stability while pulling a trailer. That is a reduction of 4" of cushioning sidewall.

To a point larger tires will be more comfortable until they get too large. Then the extra unsprung weight can diminish the gains somewhat.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:26 AM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoveBolt View Post
air pressure?
The 22s on the '87 probably have slightly more air pressure, but not much (maybe 1-2 lbs difference). I've tried lowering the pressure but it doesn't seem to help.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:29 AM   #5
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster59 View Post
Taller sidewalls will give a more comfortable ride than shorter sidewalls. All other things being equal.

This week I am switching from 22x11-8 4ply all terrains to 23x10.5-12 6ply all terrain tires and wheels. I expect to give up ride comfort for stability while pulling a trailer. That is a reduction of 4" of cushioning sidewall.
I rarely tow anything, and the 22.5s on 8" wheels have served my purposes great for 5 years. I may be going back to 8" wheels. Comfort is king for me!
Old 05-09-2018, 10:30 AM   #6
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I run 22's on 8'' rims turf tires and the ride is good, but I did have to play with the air pressure. too much and it bounced, too little and has side wall roll over in turns. I was making changes 1-2 lbs at a time to get it right.

Your new tires could just have stiffer side walls?
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:41 AM   #7
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The tires shown on the cart on the left appear to have 10" rims. Those tires look flatter across the tread width. The cart on our right appears to have 8" rims. Tires on 8" diameter rims tend to be more like motorcycle tires with a rounded or humped tread across the width of the tire. That too would lend more "spring" to cushion bumps.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:53 PM   #8
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Well I put the 10" wheels on the 1990 cart and the ride quality did not change (the 1990 cart had the comfortable ride). I did not lose any ride comfort due to the wheel/tire swap. So I'm guessing that wheels/tires is not what's causing the ride quality difference between the two carts.

On a side note, I like the way these tires look on the 1990 better than they looked on the '87. The '87 has a 6" lift and it made these tires look small. The 1990 cart only has a 4" lift and these tires look perfect with it.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:59 PM   #9
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I'm beginning to wonder if all the extra weight I have on the '87 (roof, windshield, bed) is causing the engine to need to work harder, causing more overall vibration at higher speeds?

Since I've installed the windshield I have not yet folded it down. Maybe the resistance of that large, flat windshield is causing some of this. I'm going to fold it down next time and see if things improve.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:18 PM   #10
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Your 1990 cart has the stock suspension, no? Thinking that has more to do with the ride than the wheels/tires in this case. I removed the Jake's helper spring on my a arm liftand replaced it with the stock helper spring [my stock front springs were a 3 leaf set] and it made the front work beautifully.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise, ride quality, tires, vibrate, wheels
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts