lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > On Road Golf Carts!
On Road Golf Carts! Low to the ground Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-11-2017, 09:53 PM   #31
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Cart Shed Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
The 7 foot 11 inches is your usable width after installation. The door and hardware is about 8 feet six inches wide. You need that much INSIDE.
Thanks, I think I will try and find a 6" door....probably more money, but that's life...thanks again
dannyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-11-2017, 10:11 PM   #32
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I think you are forgetting to add the 3" on each side you need (meat) and the thickness of the walls on each side. That is over a foot. If there is any way you can get the width to use an 8 foot door you will like it MUCH better than a 6 foot.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:08 PM   #33
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You also need to think about whether you want a floor or not. You could build a pole type building with gravel for a floor pretty reasonably. That's what I did for my motorcycle storage and then built a platform in it to mount my air compressor on.

You could also do like I did on the barn style shed I build and go with double 3 foot hinged doors. This would give you a 6 foot door and you would then eliminate the need for an entry door. You can use a bolt type latch at the top of the one door and let the other door latch to that door on the outside for locking. You could then make a bolt for the bottom that would go into the ground to hold the bottom of the door you wouldn't open all the time. This setup would be the most reasonably priced way to build the shed. If you went with a wooden floor you'd have to build it pretty strong to hold the weight and the shed would then have to be much taller to accommodate the cart.

One other thing though is where you live. There may be certain guidelines that you have too follow and you may have to have a permit to build. Sometimes you can use a portable (As in skid mounted and movable) to get around some guidelines.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:24 PM   #34
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokindawg View Post
One other thing though is where you live. There may be certain guidelines that you have too follow and you may have to have a permit to build. Sometimes you can use a portable (As in skid mounted and movable) to get around some guidelines.
My idea is for it to be fixed type, 7' to 8' door with concrete floor and 12' deep. Hardy board outside, shingle roof and side entrance door for easy access. It looks like it will probably be a 7' door due to space limitations. My door guy said any door I need can be cut down to size by him for an additional $75. It will be built with and 2X4 wall studs with all lumber to be treated.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:04 PM   #35
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

As long as your building it as you said, treated lumber is actually an extra cost you can do without. Especially if your trying to save anywhere in the build. But, it does sound like your building a good shed.

You should even have enough room for a small work bench and some tool storage.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:20 PM   #36
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokindawg View Post
As long as your building it as you said, treated lumber is actually an extra cost you can do without. Especially if your trying to save anywhere in the build. But, it does sound like your building a good shed.

You should even have enough room for a small work bench and some tool storage.
Thanks..main garage has plenty of work bench area but the extra room in the shed will be for cart parts like the rain cover and misc. items. I'm too old to struggle with entry and exit so the side door should come in quite handy....
Old 01-12-2017, 10:58 PM   #37
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Side door is a great idea. Not only for easy in and out. But if something catches fire or explodes while you are in there, you have another way out.

Just curious dannyre. What is the reason you can't go to 10 feet wide? If you can do that, all these other problems are solved and give you more space. Dimensional lumber is sold in 8,10, 12 etc. foot lengths. You are going to waste lumber, wind up with a smaller building/door, and cost you more. What is the size restriction from? Just trying to help/understand.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:54 AM   #38
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Side door is a great idea. Not only for easy in and out. But if something catches fire or explodes while you are in there, you have another way out.

Just curious dannyre. What is the reason you can't go to 10 feet wide? If you can do that, all these other problems are solved and give you more space. Dimensional lumber is sold in 8,10, 12 etc. foot lengths. You are going to waste lumber, wind up with a smaller building/door, and cost you more. What is the size restriction from? Just trying to help/understand.
The shed will be between two existing structures and a walk way between them is a must, or I would go with 12'.....
Old 02-20-2017, 11:25 AM   #39
Conradconrad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyre View Post
We are in Hurricane country here, so a garage door type opening is the best bet for me.

Thoughts?

I live in florida and just built a shed, although not for my cart, just for my tools/yard equipment.

Things to consider.

Distance on property for easements.
City permit requirements, this might end up with a strong foundation requirement since you are in a hurricane prone area, along with roof support requirements for a certain wind rating, there might even be a wind rating needed through the city for the overall structure pending how its made.

Not telling you this is required just things to consider/ find out before you go for it.
Conradconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > On Road Golf Carts!