lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-17-2019, 06:26 PM   #1
Mblaze001
Not Yet Wild

Default Just bought a Melex 666, question about voltage

Newbie here, brand new to golf carts in general. Thanks for any help, in advance. Warning, may have some (really) stupid questions!

So I just bought a Melex cart that I have determined is a model 666, six seater, with a cargo platform added to the rear so only four passenger now. Serial # is 600536. There were no batteries in the cart when I bought it, so I don't know if it's going to run right away or not. The motor is a GE 48 volt motor, picture attached.

The guy that sold it to me included what he said was the battery charger for the cart. It is a Lester Electric Lestronic II, 36 volt automatic battery charger. The plug on the cord from the charger matches the port on the cart, although that port looks like it may have been changed/added some time in the past.

So some questions: Will the 48 volt cart motor run with only 36 volts worth of batteries? Will damage occur, or will it just run slower?
Does the charger and the battery bank need to match? If I get the correct charger, and 8 six volt batteries, does all the electrical components need to be matched to 48 volts? I think the existing wiring, including the controller, is the original wiring, so probably already compatible with 48 volts.

How much trouble have I stirred up with this project?

Overall, the cart seems to be really solid, except this battery/motor issue.

Any help is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor.JPG (47.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Charger.JPG (49.1 KB, 0 views)
Mblaze001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
48 volt car, melex 666
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts