lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2010, 12:36 AM   #1
roxyrose08
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default 244 robin timing advance

hey guys , i noticed in my marathon repair manual that the timing is advanced 3deg more in reverse than it is in fwd. im thinking about advanceing fwd a few degrees . anyone play with this before?
roxyrose08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-12-2010, 08:19 AM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: 244 robin timing advance

I always did when ever I'd get a cart that you could do that with. Nowadays it's pretty much set in stone and there is no way to mechanically adjust it. i'd advance them as much as possible going forward but still run going backwards. in theory it should give you a little more topend by letting the engine rev higher and always seemed to do just that in the ones I did.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

ruredy I was reading the above post and wondered if you have ever advanced the timing on a 295 or 350 by going keyless (flywheel key)?
big mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
ruredy
Born Wild

Iv'e thought about it but decide it wasn't worth fooling with. the only way I see you could easly do it is to move the slot in the fan hub that triggers the pulsar coil. a little welding and grinding and you could do it but you'd be guessing at how much advance you did and adjusting it out seem a little problematic being you'd need to weld and grind. for me the efforts to hop up these engines far out weighs the benifts you'd see. If you want a hot rod golf cart then the easiest way is to stick a big engine in it imo. or better yet, buy one already done. you can get them cheaper than you can buy the parts to build one. let someone else take that loss.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yea I agree with buying one already big blocked is the best option.
I'm sending you a pm.
big mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #6
roxyrose08
Getting Wild

Club Car

Ruredy , why are these set up this way from factory? must be an easy way to goveren these things hey
roxyrose08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrose08 View Post
Ruredy , why are these set up this way from factory? must be an easy way to goveren these things hey
Most of these engines can run well beyond what the factory has set them to. reliability would be a huge issue along with liability. remember these carts are designed for golfing, there's no need to hit 35mph in that couple hundred feet ride to your next shot. they do need a dependable cart that will start and run a hundred times a day though. My goal would be dependability if I was building golf carts. i'm not sure what the manufactures are thinking though
Old 02-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

what about the 4 degree timing key from plowmans? it says it works in all 4 stroke engines. claims better throttle reponce.
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #9
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabercat View Post
what about the 4 degree timing key from plowmans? it says it works in all 4 stroke engines. claims better throttle reponce.
I'm not sure the 244 (2 stroke) timing works off the flywheel that way (I believe it depends on the year) but if it does, that's an option. never tried it in a cart though. with the rev limiter built into the igniter on the newer carts really about the only way to make them go faster is a gearing change or replace the ignition system. big mule reminded me that some of the first 295 engines had a fanhub that had the advance made into it. key way is cut advance of what it is nowadays. they soon changed that and added a rev limit to the igniter to slow the engine, in short I think it'll work and let it gain rpms quicker but the limiter is going to stop it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO