lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2017, 02:01 PM   #1
DC4LSTEG
Not Yet Wild

Default Adding light bar to TXT questions? relays, voltage reducer?

Hi, I just picked up an 01 36v Txt. Wanting to install a small LED light bar on the front, but wanting to make sure I do it the right way.

Main 2 questions are will I need to get one that has the full harness with relays and everything? Next question is will I need to use a 36v to 12v voltage reducer? If so which ones are decent, and what amps do I need to have it rated for?

Yes I've searched before making a thread but seem to see different answers everywhere.

TIA
DC4LSTEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-10-2017, 03:15 PM   #2
Idontgolf
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Adding light bar to TXT questions? relays, voltage reducer?

I just installed a 22 inch (120w) cheap LED light bar from Amazon on my '13 48v TXT. I did not use a relay and wired through a daystar 20 amp rated switch. Works great. I do not think you need a relay for this installation personally, but there are certainly opposite opinions that would state otherwise. I decided against it as I thought it was overkill for the installation application and prefer, in general, the simplest wiring options for future trouble shooting reasons.

To the next question, if your cart has 6 6v batteries, then you can connect the light across two batteries to make 12v. The upside is no need for additional equipment and ease of installation. The downsides are that the rate of drain on those two batteries would be higher than the others in the pack (the reducer will draw from the entire pack, not just 2 batteries), and wiring too many accessories that way can cause wiring to get sloppy.

If you plan on wiring more than one or two 12v accessories in the future, or a high drain item like a radio, then just get the reducer now and save yourself the work in the future. Using a reducer would be the preferred, but not mandatory, way to create a 12v power source.
Idontgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

There are LED light bars out there that will operate on 36V and some of them operate on a wide range of voltages up to 60V or more.

Basically, the LEDs in 12V units don't operate at 12V. They have a switching power supply that reduces the input voltage down to the actual operating voltage of the LEDs and the LEDs stay at about the same brightness no matter what the input voltage is, but the input voltage to the power supply has to be above a minimum voltage that the input power supply will operate at and below the maximum it can tolerate.

Find one that will operate at 36V and you won't need a voltage reducer. If there is the slightest possibility of upgrading to 42V or 48V in the future, find on that will work at the higher voltages as well as 36V.

LEDs don't draw a lot of amps, so a simple toggle switch will most likely be all that is needed.

If you do install a radio or other 12V accessories, use either a DC to DC converter or dedicated 12V battery. Tapping the main battery pack at 12V tends to imbalance the back and the batteries don't live as long before needing replacement.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:00 PM   #4
Seaquell
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a 36 inch long led bar that draws 26 amps or so,it would blow a 25amp fuse but a 30 is ok.
It needs a relay and the connections need to be really good!

Just wanted to let you know from experience.
But it's SUPER BRIGHT
Seaquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:34 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The 48 LEDs in front light bar, rear tail light bar, brake lights and F/R turn signals, only use about 8W @ 12V when all are illuminated simultaneously.

The control unit uses another 1.5W, so the entire lighting system only draws less than 1A @ 12V.
The horn, which is also part of the system, draws 2A, so the max draw is 3A.

However, there are light bars out there that do draw a lot of amps, so the wiring needs will vary with the amp draw of the light bar used.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:07 AM   #6
DC4LSTEG
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the responses. So I'd be good with going with a light bar like this one connected straight to the battery and adding a switch?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20170313-080553.jpg (8.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-13-2017, 03:15 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Might be iffy. When fully charged, you 36V pack is around 38.2V and when on charge it can be 45V or higher.

Look for something the goes up to 48V or so.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:04 PM   #8
DC4LSTEG
Not Yet Wild

This one shows 10v-50v so it should work correct?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20170313-150220.jpg (8.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20170313-150242.jpg (13.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-13-2017, 05:31 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

That ought to do it.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:05 AM   #10
DC4LSTEG
Not Yet Wild

Ok and will I be fine using their harness with relay and fuse or will it blow the fuse since its going on a 36v system? Thank you for the help
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO