lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #11
manx
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Dune Buggy Golf Cart Project - Need Input

Thanks everyone. Yes, the kiddie ride body that I'm starting with is about 30" wide and a 60-some-odd inches long. I am prepared to widen and/or stretch it as required. I'm still working out the design, (I'm making a 3D cad model) but here's what I have so far:

The current body width would work as is, but it's kind of narrow to seat two adults. Unless the seat is wider than the center part of the body, which might look odd. Since my wife is expecting a golf cart style entrance, she does not want to have to step over even a low side panel.

So basically, I'm thinking this - cut the car in half (front half, rear half) and separate the 2 halves by a couple feet. There, I now have a entrance.

Because I'd like to seat two adults (even if it's a bit narrower than a stock golf cart seat) I would consider widening the body a bit. But I also want the tires to be sort of under fender flares, so I can't make the body too wide. (How far outboard can I push the rear wheels? Spacers or is there another way?)

I have an EZ Go lined up to buy, but it's not too late for me to change if there is a strong reason to do so. The wife insists that it be electric.

One last thing - does anyone know where I can put my hands on a dimensioned drawing of the basic EZ Go cart frame? Otherwise I'm taking lots of measurements and entering them into the cad model. Better yet, does anyone have a 3D cad model already?
manx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #12
manx
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

http://carsstuff.shutterfly.com/4214#4210
Old 12-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #13
stretchman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This is going to be great! Keep the pics as you go. I cant wait to see it as you progress.
stretchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:28 PM   #14
manx
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Here's a couple preliminary design screen shots. Please give me your input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cart2 L Front.jpg (211.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Cart2 R Front.jpg (179.1 KB, 30 views)
Old 12-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #15
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I gotta admit, it looks a lot better than I thought it might. Good luck with the build. I think it could be really cool.
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #16
manx
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Anyone else have these wheels? They're the ones I'm planning to use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wheels.JPG (107.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 12-23-2011, 09:15 PM   #17
manx
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Here's a couple more design pictures. I revised the wheels to be more like the real ones I plan to use. I think the 7x12 wheels are going to work well. I may or may not need spacers, we'll see how it goes together. I'll be looking for a tire that's about 20" in diameter and as close to 7" wide as I can find. I considered a slightly larger tire in the rear as some dune buggies did that. But I want to keep things simple, too.

Currently it's shown with no modifications to the doner body (other than it being cut in two), though obviously there will have to be some more changes to make it all work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cart3 RF.jpg (68.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Cart3 LR.jpg (62.1 KB, 30 views)
Old 12-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #18
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Man you're going all out with the CAD program there ! Way to go! Me I'd just get the old tape measure and sharpie out and start sawzalling away.... And I'd probably cut too much...
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #19
manx
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I bought a 2008 EZ-Go to use for this project. I should get it next week. When I do, I plan to take measurements from the cart & get them entered into the cad model & mature the design further.

Until then I'm doing things like researching headlights to use. I believe that real dune buggy lights are 7" and 8" diameter. To keep the scale right on this project 5" or 6" lights should be perfect. I've seen chrome plated steel, polished aluminum and stainless steel as well as painted & plastic housings. I want a chrome look but am leaning towards stainless steel to avoid rusting. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #20
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I had a Manx bodied Bug! I didn't find it at all impractical! I wish I still had it!
The bodies from the amusement park rides are much smaller than the Bug bodies.
I think it will look great, and be an enjoyable project!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center