lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2021, 10:20 AM   #1
bud_toledo
Getting Wild

Default Big block clutching

Have a 04 precedent with 18hp vanguard with rev kit and cartsplus clutches. Question I have is...Is it suppose engine brake when you let off gas until it stops? Acts like you are driving in one gear. Prob a stupid question. But it doesn’t seem right.
bud_toledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2021, 11:01 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Big block clutching

It really shouldn't drag like that, none of mine ever did. I'm wondering if the belt is too tight or if the secondary clutch spring might be really stiff? It sounds like it's not backshifting. When you let off the throttle the clutches should return to almost a neutral position. As you slow down the drivetrain shouldn't drag very much.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:47 AM   #3
bud_toledo
Getting Wild

That’s what I was thinking as well. Belt dosent seem to be to tight. There is a cpl of inches of play when pushing in middle of belt. Is it possible the belt needs to break in? It dosent squeal or smell like rubber burning. I know my governor on axle isn’t working. Think that wouldn’t have anything to do with it though.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:52 AM   #4
Bigb19812000
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Is the cart on stands or on the ground when the issue occurs?
Bigb19812000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:53 AM   #5
bud_toledo
Getting Wild

On the ground.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:30 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If the secondary clutch is a CPP part, it might be upgraded with a stiffer spring. Might give them a call and see if you can get any info. Did you purchase the clutches or were they already on the cart? If you did, you could look at the paperwork that came with them. Sometimes the secondary clutches come with machining and stiffer spring to help with low end torque.

It might be hard to do, but watching the clutches when driving on the ground is the only way to know what's happening. Looking at them while it's up on jackstands isn't always telling the whole story. Some guys have taped a GoPro or an old phone underneath the seat facing the clutches. I definitly wouldn't do that with your good phone lol
Old 02-28-2021, 01:03 PM   #7
bud_toledo
Getting Wild

I ordered the clutches. This cart was a basket case. So I never had driven this cart until now. So what would I be looking for when watching it?
I’ll call ccp tomorrow and see what they say about it. I know it’s the clutches for the big block kit.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:54 PM   #8
bud_toledo
Getting Wild

Here’s a link to a video of clutches. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jzqF65dMt8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jzqF65dMt8
Old 03-01-2021, 03:51 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

To be honest, that looks like the clutches are working perfectly. What you are looking for is primary engagement at about 1600-1800 rpm, full shift at around 3000 rpm (or so), and the secondary clutch to backshift when the throttle is lifted.

If it's a new belt, they are sometimes a little "sticky". The belt will loosen up as it wears in.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:30 AM   #10
bud_toledo
Getting Wild

I talked to Bruce from ccp. He said that was normal. And I ordered the 8.1 gears. Thanks for the response.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!