lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2020, 11:10 AM   #1
Olemissrebel
Not Yet Wild

Default Club car Precedent help needed

Hoping someone can help pinpoint what is going on with my 2016 club car precedent. When it started the issue was when I turn my key off my voltage reducer would stay on and all my accessories would remain on for a short period of time but would eventually turn off on its on. Cart would not move with the key off. If I switch it to neutral and turn off the key the voltage reducer would turn off like it should. I checked the key switch with meter and it is performing like it should. Problem has gotten worse and changed. Now the cart will not go in reverse or the reverse buzzer will not work in reverse. When I turn key off in reverse the buzzer comes on. Turn key back on in reverse buzzer goes off. I can leave in reverse and turn run/tow switch off then back on and cart will work in reverse. I took apart the forward/reverse switch and it is performing like it should. Open closes when switched and voltage is good on terminals. I have checked most connections and everything seems to be good. Anyone have any tips or advice on how to test this problem. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.
Olemissrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-21-2020, 11:18 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club car Precedent

Did You install the voltage reducer yourself?

If so, where is it getting the +48v from?

If someone wired the reducer to be powered by the key switch it could have damaged the sonic-weld that provides power to the key switch and reverse buzzer.

Only the "trigger" wire (low current) of a 5 wire reducer can be connected to the key switch.

Start by disconnecting the voltage reducer to see if it changes the symptoms.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:41 AM   #3
Olemissrebel
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Club car Precedent

I wired the voltage reducer my self and has been installed for over a year. It is a 5 wire voltage reducer. 48 volt from battery, 48 volt switched from key to turn on
Old 10-21-2020, 02:38 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club car Precedent help needed

The slow voltage decay on the 12v side is not normal, when the trigger from the key switch is OFF the 12v output stops immediately.

I would still disconnect that converter "trigger" wire from the key switch to make sure the converter has not failed an it is placing a large load on the key switch.

You should also double-check the fuse on the converter +48v battery connection is OK.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:51 PM   #5
Olemissrebel
Not Yet Wild

I will try that to eliminate the voltage reducer from equation but that should not have an effect on my cart not going in reverse would it?
Old 10-21-2020, 03:01 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

There is a sonic-weld (ultrasonic wire junction) in the harness that splits the tow/run switch power to Key switch, reverse buzzer and FNR.

The reverse buzzer making sound only after the key switch being turned off could be an indication there is a short or large load on the key switch side.

It is speculation but that combined with the slow decay on 12v could indicate a faulty converter causing issues.

Were there any other recent changes, wiring or accessories added?
Old 10-21-2020, 04:14 PM   #7
Olemissrebel
Not Yet Wild

No other changes have been made. If a controller is going out could it cause issues like this? My next step will be to eliminate the voltage reducer and see if problem goes away. Thanks for your advice.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:16 PM   #8
oldbeefcake
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Any updates? I'm having similar issues.
oldbeefcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car