lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-21-2021, 09:31 AM   #1
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

Default Spark Plugs for V-Twins

To me the spark plug is one of the most overlooked parts on your engine, improper gap settings, wrong temperatures, can make your engine run poorly.
I'm not a thermo continuity engineer, back in the old days the temperature of a plug that you ran determine what the temperature outside was, the colder the temp the hotter the plug, the hotter the temp the colder the plug. that is all changed with the introduction of fuel injection(timing spark advance and whatnot are all controlled by a computer these days). but has not changed for carbureted engines!
I can remember in the early 90's, Split Fire came out with the first performance spark plug, in theory the idea was a good one, but in reality they were not a consistent plug, I remember my friends having to carry multiple split fires at the track, just because of how fallible they were.
since then there have been all types of performance spark plugs hit the market, me being a skeptic I went back to the old simple basic spark plug,
a few years back, I was having spark plug issues on my V-Twin vanguard, and member said try this plug out, it wasn't auto light racing plug, without doing any homework I ordered two of them, and did they ever make a difference night and day top and power increase and torque increased both just by using a different plug!!!!
so the plugs that came in the predator 670 were made by a company called torch, what a piece of crap!!! i I pulled those spark plugs out and replaced them with the autolight racing, hard startups went away, but the main thing I noticed was smoother reliability all the way across the board from off idle to wide open you could feel the difference between the two plugs.
so the question I propose, what plugs are you using in your V-Twin? I know there are many people out there that have many opinions, and that is what I'm looking for opinions, I've never been a Ford fan, and I know the auto light plugs are somehow connected to Ford, but this is one plug it really makes a difference....
What are y'all's thoughts?
here's a picture of the torch in the auto light side by side, everybody can make your own opinions let's hear from you....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210221_082857.jpg (119.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210221_082904.jpg (113.1 KB, 0 views)
ProjectClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-21-2021, 01:08 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Spark Plugs for V-Twins

Ah, the spark plug subject. I used to work in auto parts for years and years. I've heard every spark plug story known to man. Don't use Champion in a Chevy. Don't use A/C Delco in a Ford. Don't use Autolites in a Honda. I was actually working behind the counter when the Splitfire and the Bosch Platinum plugs came onto the market. We got regular visits from the factory reps and took classes on why we should sell their plugs. Of course they ALL thought their plugs were the best.

We did our own tests. We put Ford Motorcraft plugs in a Chevy and AC Delco in a Ford. What happened? Nothing. They both ran and started fine. We did the same thing with Splitfires and Bosch Platinums.... No difference in MPG's or power that we could tell.

Now, with that said, I can totally agree with you.

Here's why: Cars are a much different animal. Even in the late 80's-90's cars and trucks were beginning to be computer controlled. Thus the "no change" result. In an old fashioned carburated engine, on the other hand, it's a totally different story. I have no less than 9 vehicles and pieces of equipment that have a basic small engine with no computer controls. I can attest to what you are claiming, that spark plugs can make all the difference. So much so that I have tried various brands in each vehicle/equipment engine to experiment. Usually I end up with one of two spark plugs, the NGK Platinums and the Autolite Platinum. Sometimes the factory plugs do just fine, but when they don't, these are what I switch to.

I have never used the Autolite Racing plugs, but it sounds interesting and worth a try. I too can't believe the HF670 has some wierd junk "Torch" plugs in them, that none of us have ever heard of lol. What's the part number for the 670? I'd like to give them a try.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:39 PM   #3
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

In my VC 460 clone the findings were much like yours with the Autolite plug. A noticeable difference in power and smoothness. I AB and Ced it against the torch,Bosch BPR6ES many time to see if it was my imagination or for real. It turns out that it is really true. All 3 of my generators now have the autolite plug. I did not find any real difference between the Bosch plug and the torch plug. Some of the go kart race engine builders find between 1/2-1 hp on the dyno.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:17 AM   #4
BIKERMIKEYBLACK
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I’ve been running the E3 plugs in my Vanguard they seem to run better than anything else I’ve tryed
BIKERMIKEYBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:08 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Part numbers guys, part numbers
Old 02-22-2021, 03:06 PM   #6
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Autolite AR3910X for clones and clone Vtwins
Old 02-22-2021, 05:18 PM   #7
BIKERMIKEYBLACK
Gone Wild

Yamaha

E3.48 part number
Also I saw on an episode of engine power on the dyno a V8 engine made 7 more HP with the E3 over the stock plugs
BIKERMIKEYBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:51 PM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

P.S. Fram owns Autolite not Ford. Fram bought in back in 1983
Old 02-23-2021, 08:18 AM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

According to the HF Predator 670 Spec Sheet, the stock plugs are Torch F5RTC. Here's the Torch website http://www.torchgroup.cn/ It's funny, they don't even list that part number on their site.

Cross reference that number or you can try a website like this

https://www.sparkplug-crossreference...rt/torch/F5RTC

Lots of part numbers come up. The old fashioned way was to open up the spark plug book and look at the cross reference charts in the back, pull a few off the shelf, get the mic out, compare, select, and try it out. We had a 10 foot catalog wall where we could find any manufacturers catalog we wanted. We used to have a big pile of used plugs that we'd remove from inventory to try and mark them as "R&D".

Today, everything is on the net. Not sure I trust just any old site for spark plug cross reference. But, as long as you physically compare the plugs and they are identical, you won't do any physical damage to the engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Predator 670 specs.jpg (229.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-23-2021, 11:26 AM   #10
GatorBait
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Do you clock (index) your plugs? If not it could be one reason you get better results with a multi ground electrode plug vs a traditional single. ...junk plugs withstanding...
GatorBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!