lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-20-2021, 10:50 AM   #1
MPH711
Not Yet Wild

Default Icon Ignition Key

Purchased an Icon i40 this week. Can’t wait to take delivery. The dealer said that all Icon ignition keys are the same. If your neighbor has one, he can start yours.
Since mine isn’t street legal it will stay in my gated community. The dealer said they could change out the ignition so I could get a dedicated key. It would cost about $75.

Do any of you have a concern that everyone has the same key as you? Did you change your ignition to have a dedicated key? I also would like to get a foldable key. I saw in another thread where someone mentioned the blank foldable to buy for the Icon key. Appreciate any of your thoughts.
MPH711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-20-2021, 03:17 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Icon Ignition Key

The same is true of almost any brand of cart: unless you pay to install a different lock cylinder, it will be the same as any other of that brand. Keep in mind they are originally intended for golf course use. If the course has a bunch of carts it would be a nightmare trying to keep track of all those different keys for a bunch of largely identical carts.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 05:07 PM   #3
MPH711
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
The same is true of almost any brand of cart: unless you pay to install a different lock cylinder, it will be the same as any other of that brand. Keep in mind they are originally intended for golf course use. If the course has a bunch of carts it would be a nightmare trying to keep track of all those different keys for a bunch of largely identical carts.
Yes, that’s true. I didn’t think about the golf course keeping track nightmare.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:57 PM   #4
yubakram
Not Yet Wild

We ended up having the Icon dealer installing a kill switch (no charge) that disables the ignition when engaged. Easy to get to and will stop mischievous neighbors! ;)
yubakram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:05 PM   #5
ATrain
Gone Wild

They make remote battery kill switches - https://www.amazon.com/WATERWICH-Wir...dp/B07WRFYH7L/

I just google'd quickly, so don't take that specific link without doing your own research. That may be underrated for the cart amps...but I just wanted you to see a good idea to look for.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:20 PM   #6
MPH711
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrain View Post
They make remote battery kill switches - https://www.amazon.com/WATERWICH-Wir...dp/B07WRFYH7L/

I just google'd quickly, so don't take that specific link without doing your own research. That may be underrated for the cart amps...but I just wanted you to see a good idea to look for.
Thanks, I’ll take a look!
Old 02-22-2021, 07:52 PM   #7
thelandposse
Not Yet Wild

IMO it's all about keeping an honest man honest. If a thief wants to steal your cart they will find a way to do it. I use a cable lock when I park at the bar or some place that I will be at for a long time. I run it through the steering wheel to the canopy support on the driver side. So far each time I have returned my cart is still there. I also have full coverage insurance on my cart so that also gives me peace of mind.
thelandposse is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon