lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2021, 10:27 AM   #1
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Fuel pump supply preferences

Ok clone heads, who uses what for their fuel pump power supply and why? Diaphragm pump to the crankcase, carb, valve cover, some other spot I’m not privy to, or electric pump?
Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-12-2021, 10:58 AM   #2
Notsoezgo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Fuel pump supply preferences

Gravity fed from remote elevated tank. Zero problems
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201029_102842.jpg (207.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20201029_121558.jpg (231.5 KB, 0 views)
Notsoezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:14 AM   #3
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

You might want to look at my pumps pumps pumps thread
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 03:04 PM   #4
superpro56
Gone Wild
Club Car

I have my diaphragm pump pulling its pulse from the crankcase. Typically, you get the strongest pulses across the full RPM range from either the crankcase or the valve cover. But with that you have to make sure you don't get any oil in the pulse line that could disturb or block air flow. Pulling pulse from the carb takes care of the oil issue but will usually taper off in performance the higher the RPM. Electric pumps supply a constant flow, but require significant wiring to power AND shut off (in case of accident).
superpro56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 09:25 AM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Use a Briggs pump and pull pulse from the valve cover, that's how Vanguards are setup. Also, if you put the pump close to the engine and have a short pulse line it'll work better than if you mount the pump far away with a long pulse line.

If the stock clone carb is setup for gravity feed, you might have to switch the needle valve over to one for use with a fuel pump, they are different on some engines.

IMO the Briggs pumps last the longest and work the best. They are also not expensive.

Electric pumps are just not necessary and are a lot of hassle with wiring and return line etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg briggs fuel pump.jpg (87.8 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 04:34 PM   #6
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

Is there a preferred method of tapping into the valve cover for optimal pulse pump operation? One spot that’s proven to be better than another, or fitting types, i.e. brass, stainless etc?
Old 02-13-2021, 04:40 PM   #7
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Use a Briggs pump and pull pulse from the valve cover, that's how Vanguards are setup. Also, if you put the pump close to the engine and have a short pulse line it'll work better than if you mount the pump far away with a long pulse line.

If the stock clone carb is setup for gravity feed, you might have to switch the needle valve over to one for use with a fuel pump, they are different on some engines.

IMO the Briggs pumps last the longest and work the best. They are also not expensive.

Electric pumps are just not necessary and are a lot of hassle with wiring and return line etc.
Speaking of carbs’ VC has a clone carb on blow out right now for 1/2 off, I’ve read that their clone carb is better for getting the idle down to manageable levels re: clutch control. Would that solve the gravity feed vs pump fed needle valve issue a well as the idle issue some have simultaneously?
Old 02-13-2021, 05:13 PM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The VC blowout carb doesn't have an adjustable idle circuit. I bought one for $15 it is a nice piece BUT don't see how that would help the idle. The original 460 carbs did have an adjustable idle circuit which worked nicely. As another member did you might want to get the honda carb from ARC racing that merely has a limiter cap on the idle circuit. The part # is DJ-3225
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:59 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I use the stock yamaha pump on the tank but I may change it due to it being far from the engine and lower than engine. I put a 1/8 npt pitting in the clone valve cover in side so it comes out under the partition in there. That is only around a 3/8 hole or less I forget the size, and hose barb on other side of fitting. I have another pump and line to try. What happened is this worked pretty well for a while. Then I put a rod and cam in it and it goes faster, gets more rpm. Now if I wind it up it will get a little oil in line and start to run out of fuel at higher speeds. Just a little oil will do it a few drops. Usually I don't go that fast its ok I have to get over 35 or so then it does it. Otherwise it works fine and was fine in the past, now it gets way over 5K rpm and that makes blowby. Before it only did 5200 most I saw but now it goes faster. So I may change the line around or put a pump by the valve cover. I also put a 1/4 npt in the airbox hose hole in the outside part of the valve cover and hose to my airbox, which is out of a car. I later made an intake and moved the carb in front of the engine. I now have a 30mm slide carb on it, its a 420 lifan clone. The B&S pump works well, really anything a gokart uses works and that one is popular on the gokarts. I think the stock yamaha used a circulating pulse line I have to check it out, I may be able to duplicate it to keep the oil out of mine. It went from the cam area to the pump then to the valve cover and had a little valve in it, think one way valve. It was a G9 cart.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:13 PM   #10
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post

Slo, when you say switch the needle valve, do you mean drill it, use an adjustable main, or get a different main. If the latter, what should I be looking for and where?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps