lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-19-2021, 06:45 AM   #1
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Gen3 leaf modules anyone?

I looked around and was surprised that I dont see anything mentioned about builds using the newer nissan leaf modules. They have a new chemistry and higher AH rating so are they not a good way to go?
panteramatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-19-2021, 07:32 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Gen3 leaf modules anyone?

A few folks built packs with them, the issue is that each Gen3 module has the equivalent of two of the old modules in one package.

You would need to build a 12 (three modules) or 16 (four modules) cell pack in order to use all cells and the 16 pack has a higher voltage than a 48v Controller can tolerate.

That package also makes it difficult to parallel the modules if you need more capacity.

You could also not use the last two cell pairs from one of the modules if you take precautions not to allow those cells to over discharge.

Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:53 AM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sergio,
I am not sure why this is the case. It looks like the two modules are not connected so you could wire them in parallel just like two of the older modules. My pack uses 14 of the older modules with pairs in parallel. I have not seen or tried the newer modules but I am on the lookout for another lithium pack for a cart I am rebuilding now.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:51 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Look closely, the modules + and - are opposite in each module which is ideal for a series connection like they were intended to be used in the Leaf cars.

You cannot get two positive posts to align even if you flip them around.

I would like to also point out in the picture I posted that the original Leaf "sardine can" module is recessed where the threaded rod goes through.

It is important on those GEN1 modules to always use the original brackets or provide an equivalent thickness washer to prevent the modules from being compressed when the rod is tighten.

The GEN2 and GEN3 modules improved the design by allowing the sleeves to extend to the edge of the module.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:54 AM   #5
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Sergio,
I am not sure why this is the case. It looks like the two modules are not connected so you could wire them in parallel just like two of the older modules. My pack uses 14 of the older modules with pairs in parallel. I have not seen or tried the newer modules but I am on the lookout for another lithium pack for a cart I am rebuilding now.
Like Sergio said; You can't parallel Gen 3 with bus bars, and it would make a terrible mess trying to parallel them with cable. You cannot put two + bars side by side to parallel them as you can with single modules. I have one pack running made up of 4 double modules leaving the least module unused.

See attached drawing using chinese BMS.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lithium 4 Double-Cell Pack - Frank Degeronimo.pdf (108.5 KB, 0 views)
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:23 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If you flipped every other module you could almost do it. I agree that it's not that easy though.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:28 PM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Maybe you could wire them as two groups of 7 as shown in PingEye3's PDF and then just join the center terminals with cables rather than straps? Worth looking into for the future.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:03 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

No matter how you flip the modules you will never get two terminals with the same polarity to be side by side.

I don't like the idea of trying to parallel at the pack level.

The LiFePO4 batteries prices are getting lower, perhaps the new administration will drop some of the tax/tariff on Chinese imports so we can get them here cheaper than the recycled Leaf cells.

I still prefer the energy density of the Leaf cells, but if the LiFePO4 cells delivered to US get cheaper I would use them for my next build.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:25 PM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I think that paralleling at the pack level if ok if you also connect all of the two pack's cells together with a reasonable cable. It doesn't have to handle lots of current but it has to allow the cells to balance. If the cells are fairly equal then there won't be high currents in the balancing cables under load. Not ideal but also can be made to work.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:49 PM   #10
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingEye3 View Post
Like Sergio said; You can't parallel Gen 3 with bus bars, and it would make a terrible mess trying to parallel them with cable. You cannot put two + bars side by side to parallel them as you can with single modules. I have one pack running made up of 4 double modules leaving the least module unused.

See attached drawing using chinese BMS.
You have any pics of the pack you built? I cant see there being an issue using cable instead of bars. Also, Im guessing these double packs cant be seperated?
panteramatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium