lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop
Garage and Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-04-2021, 06:39 AM   #21
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: ?? about seats

Fellas, I am still not sure what to do with my cart seats yet. I bought my cart in September 2020, Put Batteries in and tested to make sure it was a viable project. drove it around my yard for literally a hot second and then stripped it down. The seat it came with was just a back seat bottom from a random car. (my cart is a one off Chinese Cart) I searched for a replacement, measured and remeasured and tried to see what of the big three would possibly bolt up so I could just buy new. It just does not look like the answer. My capabilities are fairly strong as far as making custom covers however, it will not be inexpensive for me to do this. So I have spent countless hours reimagining what I could possibly do to make it work. With all that being said. I keep going back to the Bolt on Boat Buckets. They are Easy, Cheap and Available. I have a set already for my old row boat (wrong color) and tested the comfortability and it seams to work.
Opening a thread like this to bounce Ideas around is really what Forums are for IMO.
Going back to my opening of this reply "I am still not sure what to do with my cart seats yet"
Briboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-04-2021, 10:27 AM   #22
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

I don’t want to hijack Briboy’s thread... but I think both of us were looking at the same problem.

Thanks for all the insight. I appreciate the fresh set of eyes.

I’m trying to think out of the box. I knew the bucket seat wouldn’t fit cleanly over the battery compartment and would add weight.

Currently I have a 1” rip in the seat bottom of the front bench seat. I haven’t tried the O’Reilly’s (car parts store) at home repair yet. Those repair kits usually work OK but don’t last the test of time.

As I mentioned earlier I have a two toned color scheme for my seats which will be hard to match if I reupholster only the bottom front bench. Likely that reupholster will cost $300-400 because of the customization of the fabric.

This rip is a minor detail for me considering I have a solid cart, with good batteries and range and can go 24 mph. I may just go ahead patch the rip and put a piece if colored duct tape over it while I look for a used replacement seat bottom on eBay.
RNajarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 10:42 AM   #23
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

I can pick up this complete set of front and rear seats for $800, local pick up will save me the $180 shipping fee.

Was hoping to save a little $$$ for my eventual Lithium upgrade, hence my thinking out of the box. . . again the 1” rip is a minor detail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 036EF289-1B0E-498D-AE0C-8105BDED6794.jpeg (587.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg 07269ABE-0C0B-483A-951F-6429F5CDBCDE.jpeg (41.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-04-2021, 01:25 PM   #24
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNajarian View Post
I can pick up this complete set of front and rear seats for $800, local pick up will save me the $180 shipping fee.

Was hoping to save a little $$$ for my eventual Lithium upgrade, hence my thinking out of the box. . . again the 1” rip is a minor detail.
I don't see you hijacking this thread and I think my bright idea and suggestions apply to both of you.

RN, I would not even consider those seats. I'm a stickler for details and what I see is poor upholstery work not worthy of the price. The upper part of the seat on the right, looking at the photo, is sewn at a slant. The front horizontal stitching does not align with the bottom stitching. The corners do not align equally on both end from the seat back to the bottom cushion. I realize the back of the seat is not sitting level, but even if it was it won't correct the issues that I see.

I'd put the $800.00 towards reupholstering your old seats.

I think you should try the repair first. Done correctly it works great and you'll barely notice it. Those kits will work but not the best. Check with a local auto repair shop or boat repair shop and get a quote from them.

Hope this helps both of you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg seat.jpeg (46.1 KB, 0 views)
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:51 PM   #25
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

CCNorth You wouldn’t let me buy you a beverage when you helped me with my stuck brake drum, I hope you will let me buy you one now.

I hadn’t noticed those discrepancies despite being so obvious.

I’ll attempt a patch, if that is a bust I’ll have an upholstery shop give it a look.

Thanks Again
Old 01-05-2021, 01:05 AM   #26
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNajarian View Post
CCNorth You wouldn’t let me buy you a beverage when you helped me with my stuck brake drum, I hope you will let me buy you one now.

I hadn’t noticed those discrepancies despite being so obvious.

I’ll attempt a patch, if that is a bust I’ll have an upholstery shop give it a look.

Thanks Again
You are most welcome. Okay, I accept your kind offer but we'll have to wait until you get out of jail. Sorry, I mean terminal CA quarantine. Geezeee. The next thing you know your Governor will make you put a mask over the cowl of that cart!

Keep us posted of your progress.
Old 01-05-2021, 02:25 PM   #27
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briboy View Post
...... snip..... seat it came with was just a back seat bottom from a random car. (my cart is a one off Chinese Cart) .... snip....
Going back to my opening of this reply "I am still not sure what to do with my cart seats yet"
I'm sure you've seen this website, but just to be sure:
https://www.chinatrucksuppliers.com/...how-22582.html

It shows the specs for your cart, or one very much like it. These specs should help you find replacement parts if/when they are needed. It's good to see they use the Curtis controller imported for US. My knowledge is very limited so I'm not sure about the rear diff gear ratio.

About the seat. The front seat you have looks like the one I'm seeing in the photos on the above website and few other photos that turned up on a web search. So, I'm not sure what you mean by a "random car" seat. You don't think it was original to the cart?

I know the bottom of the seat is curved in the center, but is there anything that would keep you from using a seat that is straight across the front, without the curve? I don't think it would look odd to do that and it might allow you to use a used seat from a club car, for example.

I realize that still leaves the issue of covering the seat back but there are seat companies that sell their matching vinyl by the yard and this would work IF your existing seat back already has foam. As Jake-Daddy said, foam is expensive. I rebuilt the bottom seat on a Kawasaki Mule using 4 inch rebonded foam. The foam was only $26.00 but the shipping was $30.00. LOL

The tall back of the front seat is white in the photo and I can't tell what it's made of. Is that foam I am seeing?

If you can find a local foam source the price might not be as bad as you think. Remember, you don't necessarily need one big piece of foam. You can piece pieces together if needed using foam spray adhesive. Don't misunderstand. You don't want to glue 10 pieces together, but 2 pieces is fine.
In another thread I saw where someone used the cushion foam from a discarded sofa to rebuild his seat. He was really thinking outside the box.

There are stores besides upholstery shops that sell vinyl. Look at your large local "fabric" store that sells dressmaker fabric because some offer marine vinyl. It won't be the highest grade vinyl but will work well. We have a local upholsterer who opened his own fabric store and it has a great selection of marine grade vinyl for really low prices. So, look around for "out of the way" places.

It's just my opinion, but you have a unique cart that should be kept original. Boat seats are going to look like boat seats and out of place on that cart. But, if that's the route you want to go it's fine with me because I can't see it from Alabama. (Sorry, that statement is based on a old joke)

Hope something I said is helpful to you.
Old 01-05-2021, 03:45 PM   #28
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

CC,
I have already reached out to them and did not get a response.
That is why I started thinking just do something different.
I just dug out my old row boat seats to see what it looks like and its not that bad with them against the painted back I made with this part of the project in mind.

This is the experiment so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2406.jpg (98.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2407.jpg (90.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-05-2021, 04:03 PM   #29
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

The original seat back was rotted and the original base was not there at all.
So the more I look it over I may just buy the foam and marine vinyl and make them myself. I think it will be money well spent. even if it gets into the $400 range.
I have to match the rear seat as well, I adapted what I think is a Yamaha Frame to it and those seats are rotted as well.
Either way I twist this I have some more work to do... As long as she is ready by March when the Campground opens again I will be happy. The bulk of the restoration is complete, the only thing I have left is the seats, Some more minor wiring (i want some kind of radio) and the Tires/Rims.
The rest is done.

And I very much Appreciate all of the input. I am the guy who locks onto something and I need opposing opinions.
My saving grace is I over think these decisions a bunch before jumping.
Old 01-05-2021, 04:53 PM   #30
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briboy View Post
CC,
I have already reached out to them and did not get a response.
That is why I started thinking just do something different.
I just dug out my old row boat seats to see what it looks like and its not that bad with them against the painted back I made with this part of the project in mind.

This is the experiment so far.
Briboy, why can't you just hinge the plywood bottom you have there, put foam and vinyl on it and call it a day?

Look at the seat on the 57 Chevy in my avatar. I had to custom make it and that's what I did.

Look at my thread: "57 Chevy Body On DS" page 12. You will see a brief description of what I did. Sorry, I would link it here but don't know how.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop