lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's!
Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's! Side x Sides, ATVs, Quads, Bikes, Jeeps, 4x4, and everything else.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-11-2021, 06:29 PM   #11
pilotdane
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: EPIC amp ATV

How are you managing battery charging? I only have experience with RC stuff where 6s is common and 12s is huge and everything is 1p.
pilotdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-11-2021, 09:48 PM   #12
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotdane View Post
How are you managing battery charging? I only have experience with RC stuff where 6s is common and 12s is huge and everything is 1p.
I have a few different options. Current charger i have will charge 2 99v im planning on using a Chinese bms to prevent over discharge/over charge and ballance. They make them in just about every configuration imaginable. I have one for 20s right now and plan to use that and a 0-30vpower supply to charge the remaining modules until I decide what I want to do. Eventually I'll have 36 gen 2 leaf modules. I may do up to 36s2p or go less voltage but more ah with 24s3p.

If the extra voltage helps with efficiency and speed that will be the route I go. How ever it might take some time to get there. Its going to be an expensive venture ill have about 2k in a controller and charger. Idk about a bms that might get expensive too. I want to look into using multiple 10s bms boards rather than 1 board having to be able to hold 150v. Idk if there are any draw backs to that or any reason I shouldn't. Need to investigate that a bit more.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Jkerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:22 PM   #13
95EASY
Not Yet Wild

That ride looks bad to the bone!
I bet that could be fun at the deer lease.
95EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 08:22 AM   #14
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

First drive at 72v- 84v fully charged. Way more power in the mid range than it had at 64v. I was told the TSX controller i have was built with 100v parts and that it would handle a charge of 99v. Well I tried and kept getting over voltage errors. I spoke with navitas and the controller is software limited to 86v. So that has prevented me from trying higher voltages. Ive pretty much decided on getting a new controller and I have some golf cart parts I can sell to offset the cost a good bit. Itll just take some time. Probably going to go with a Kelly controller of some sort.

In the mean time I was able to buy another 2 gen 3 modules so ill have 10gen 3s at 72v for 160ah. I have a wild plan using a set of contractors to switch the 72v pack to 144v a the flip of a switch. I need to see if thats somthing I can do on the fly or not. I would think its possible as the controller will likely be powered from a 12v aux battery. 72v 1000+ amps for offroad and 144v 1000+ amps for on road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF3kOhsRdgU

Old 01-17-2021, 05:42 PM   #15
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Very cool Jerid!
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:22 PM   #16
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
Very cool Jerid! [emoji106]
Thanks!

Should be pretty sweet when its finished! Have a few events planned for this spring/summer.

Old 01-18-2021, 08:30 PM   #17
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

This is the bms I am going to use. One for each 20s set.

The plan is to use the discharge terminals to power 2 relays that will enable and disable the main contactor and also my charger relay.

Old 01-28-2021, 01:43 PM   #18
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Few more modules added!

Now I'm working on getting mounting plates made and collecting wiring supplies to hookup the bms units and also the control circuits for the charge and dischatge.

Old 02-03-2021, 05:31 AM   #19
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Finished up the relay control box for my bms units. Still trying to find time to finish the drawings for my battery mounts and enclosure lid. On a positive note I have been driving the buggy every chance I get. All the mechanical components are finally loosening up. The 4th gear 15mph is only pulling 30amps flat ground so that suggest a best case scenario of range at around 75mi. Probably half that on soft terrain.

Old 02-03-2021, 08:43 AM   #20
EzIndyGo
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Ummm... I want that.
EzIndyGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's!