lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2021, 02:47 PM   #11
mwar410
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: What happens if you flip the F/R switch while going full speed?

I think the op question was what if it accidentally happened. It’s a rocker switch right in the center of the dash, seems like it could easily be bumped or passenger could switch it not knowing.
mwar410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2021, 04:48 PM   #12
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwar410 View Post
I think the op question was what if it accidentally happened. It’s a rocker switch right in the center of the dash, seems like it could easily be bumped or passenger could switch it not knowing.
Well, IMHO, if the cart is going in one direction and the switch is hit to make it go in the other direction, the motor is going to demand a lot of amps....which will flow thru the controller.

I think a sudden demand for a big pile of amps is going to burn up something along the way. And that or those somethings will be costly to replace.

Kind of like taking a 1968 Ford Falcon and while driving down the highway at 60mph, you decide to toss it in reverse. The effect wouldn't be as dramatic as the sudden jolt on a cart, but it's just not gonna be good on the transmission.

Ask me how I know this.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:08 PM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I'm thinking maybe the cart coasts to a stop... I could be wrong but I have lots of carts... and well here - hold my beer.

I was wrong. Don't try this at home
5 mph cart tried hard back up and skidded to a stop in the gravel.
My Rep tells me if no regen is programmed the cart should coast to a stop.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:07 PM   #14
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwar410 View Post
This is correct. I've had little kids in the front seat or girls putting their feet on the cupholders. It's a high-risk of happening, so I wanted to make sure the cart wouldn't self destruct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffarias View Post
This is what I know.

If I don't fully release the GO pedal and leave it ever so slightly depressed (to where cart is NOT moving but pedal is still slightly pressed from weight of foot), and I change from F to R or R to F, the cart doesn't actually change the mode until I fully release the pedal. I have had my foot resting on pedal, changed to reverse or forward and pushed the pedal and nothing. Fully lift foot off pedal and push again and I get power.

I think unless the throttle is fully to 0 the gear change doesn't actual take affect at controller.
This is what I've noticed as well. I back out of the garage and put it in FWD sometimes before my momentum has stopped, and the cart just doesn't do anything until I'm stopped and/or the gas pedal is at 0. I'm hoping this is a protection.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:23 AM   #15
DaveTM
Gone Wild

This go-peddle all the way off thing may apply to some brands of carts, but my EZ-GO is not the case.

I "installed" the switch cover as I had one of my grandkids bump the switch to R as we were going forward. Fortunately, I let off the peddle (as the cart was being jolted to a stop) and coasted.

To get access to the switch, you have to manipulate your fingers under the rubber. It's not difficult, but prevents accidental switches.

I considered "flipping" the switch upside down, but the switch is still uncovered and with little kids that move around, anything can happen. I'll post a pic of my cover when I get a chance.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:45 AM   #16
geoffarias
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
This go-peddle all the way off thing may apply to some brands of carts, but my EZ-GO is not the case.

I "installed" the switch cover as I had one of my grandkids bump the switch to R as we were going forward. Fortunately, I let off the peddle (as the cart was being jolted to a stop) and coasted.

To get access to the switch, you have to manipulate your fingers under the rubber. It's not difficult, but prevents accidental switches.

I considered "flipping" the switch upside down, but the switch is still uncovered and with little kids that move around, anything can happen. I'll post a pic of my cover when I get a chance.
Correct this safety feature does not apply to EZGO. My TXT would do that and I had a bad habit early on of letting roll at the bottom of driveway and hitting the swtich. Two hub swaps later (last one being HD) and Im wayyyy more cautious
geoffarias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:35 PM   #17
mbrown55
Getting Wild

in reading the Toyota Neos controller manual, there is logic that tells the controller to ignore the forward/reverse switch change if the motor rpm is greater than 50.
mbrown55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon