lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-30-2020, 04:34 PM   #1
dap247
Not Yet Wild

Default Compatible Accessories

Who has done any upgrades or added accessories to their ICON so far? I've found myself at the mercy of the dealer, for better or worse, given the lack of info available online around what's actually compatible. I had them add a clay basket and had asked about side steps/nerf bars and they told me they no longer put them ICONs as the mounting unit was an issue.

Additionally, I was even hoping to upgrade to the 2020 center console cup holders/screen as I find it more useful but learned those aren't interchangeable.

So, other than bigger wheels/tires, curious what others have done to theirs so far - and what has worked/been compatible.

Thanks!
dap247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2020, 05:10 PM   #2
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Default Re: Compatible Accessories

Hey dap247...

I seem to recall seeing an I40L at my dealership with front bush guards..

as for side steps and nerf bars...you could ask for Cameron at Performance
Plus Carts Auburndale Fl. 800 539 3830...he is very knowledgeable
and am sure he would be glad to steer you in the right direction..

As for me am happy with my I40 and don't forsee any tweaking for now.

Hope this helps you some
CartsRFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:18 PM   #3
dap247
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, Cartsrfun. I have an i40L and they do come with the brush guards and fender flares which had been part of the appeal. And, don’t get me wrong, I love the cart and all that it came with - which is a ton for the money.

Appreciate the suggestion. I fully trust the local ICON dealer but may give Cameron a call for a 2nd opinion. Was just curious what others had done since there are so few pics out there - and would love to start compiling a list of what is actually compatible with these for others’ future reference.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:04 PM   #4
ATrain
Gone Wild

I bought this 5-Panel Mirror, because I prefer it over the side mirrors. Plus people (myself included) keep bumping them in my garage.

It did not fit "perfectly", but I just used pliers and bent the little metal brackets it came with and it's good. I'd call it "compatible enough".

A few other mods I did to my i60L, but are not cart-specific is a backup camera, Kenwood bluetooth stereo & speakers, and I installed a gun-safe under the seat that I can put my wallet/keys in if I'm going to the beach.

The threaded adhesive mounts are AMAZING. You can pretty much mount any doo-dad without much effort because there are sooooo many camera/tripod accessories. For some things, I prefer adhesive over cutting/drilling the plastic.

I'm honestly trying to think of other things to do to my cart. I'd like some rear cup holders, but eeh who cares.

Any good ideas? I want some more storage, but nothing on the roof (won't fit in garage). The front rack looks a little stupid.

A "trunk" that covered the rear space under the back row would be really cool if I could figure that out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200630_165433.jpg (79.9 KB, 0 views)
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:30 PM   #5
dap247
Not Yet Wild

Nice, that’s helpful. I’ve thought about the 5-panel mirror for the same garage "bump" reason. The i60L has solid storage space under the front seat, if I recall. Is that where your safe is - or in the rear with the batteries?

I was interested in some type of locking dash or under-seat storage tray but unsure what would fit given the charger placement. The dealer suggested the attached type to mount over the existing console but not thrilled since the carbon fiber finish doesn't match the center console/screen that would show through.

I’ve thought about the rear cup holders too - likely built into the armrests but not jumping at that. My Robocups have done me well so far.

I do have the front clay basket which has been great for lugging bags, coolers to the pool, etc - even takeout - but realize it’s not for everyone!

I’ve thought about a tinted windshield but heard some have had issues seeing at night. Also, heard some have found their carts slowed down with the weight of bigger wheels so I hesitate to do that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9DC461D9-36BE-4AA8-B6D4-6EAE5A88C3F2.jpg (285.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-01-2020, 12:23 PM   #6
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dap247
Nice, that’s helpful. I’ve thought about the 5-panel mirror for the same garage "bump" reason. The i60L has solid storage space under the front seat, if I recall. Is that where your safe is - or in the rear with the batteries?
In my i60L, it's under the front seat where I do have plenty of storage.

If you're interested in that safe, I can test it in my i40L to see if it'll fit in there. Mine has the 6x8v batteries + charger and a little space that's big enough for a small backpack.

The safe has a cable and mounting screw holes. I was going to mount it to the chair frame with bolts, but I was lazy and just did looped the cable. Honestly I haven't even used the safe yet, but that's mostly because I haven't had a reason to leave valuables in the cart.

Quote:
I was interested in some type of locking dash or under-seat storage tray but unsure what would fit given the charger placement. The dealer suggested the attached type to mount over the existing console but not thrilled since the carbon fiber finish doesn't match the center console/screen that would show through.
I actually don't mind that dash too much. Is that available online anywhere or just at that dealership?

Quote:
I do have the front clay basket which has been great for lugging bags, coolers to the pool, etc - even takeout - but realize it’s not for everyone!
Do you have any pictures/links of yours? It does seem like a good storage solution.

Quote:
I’ve thought about a tinted windshield but heard some have had issues seeing at night. Also, heard some have found their carts slowed down with the weight of bigger wheels so I hesitate to do that.
I have a tinted windshield on my gas golf cart and it's hard to see at night. It's like looking through a decently tinted side-window in a car and driving. If you've had a few drinks or you drive in an area with a decent amount of traffic, I would not recommend it. Plus when it gets dirty it's even harder to see.

At night, I end up flipping the top half of the window down and getting headlight glare and cold wind. I feel like there's a product out there for anti-glare while not being actual tint.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:59 PM   #7
dap247
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrain View Post
In my i60L, it's under the front seat where I do have plenty of storage.

If you're interested in that safe, I can test it in my i40L to see if it'll fit in there. Mine has the 6x8v batteries + charger and a little space that's big enough for a small backpack.

The safe has a cable and mounting screw holes. I was going to mount it to the chair frame with bolts, but I was lazy and just did looped the cable. Honestly I haven't even used the safe yet, but that's mostly because I haven't had a reason to leave valuables in the cart.

I actually don't mind that dash too much. Is that available online anywhere or just at that dealership?

Do you have any pictures/links of yours? It does seem like a good storage solution.

I have a tinted windshield on my gas golf cart and it's hard to see at night. It's like looking through a decently tinted side-window in a car and driving. If you've had a few drinks or you drive in an area with a decent amount of traffic, I would not recommend it. Plus when it gets dirty it's even harder to see.

At night, I end up flipping the top half of the window down and getting headlight glare and cold wind. I feel like there's a product out there for anti-glare while not being actual tint.
I'd be curious if you think the safe fits/mounts in the i40L with the batteries. There is definitely some unused space in there that I'd like to take advantage of, especially without a locking dashboard.

I don't hate the dash either. That is a picture the dealer sent me and, from what I can see online, it's typically for the Yamahas (which makes sense based on what I hear of the founder's background with Yamaha). They quoted $199 installed. I'm not sure if it will actually fit given the overhang in front and where our dash buttons would hit.

Attaching photo of my cart with the clays basket.

Your experience has confirmed that I'll be skipping the tint!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0084.jpg (261.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-01-2020, 01:15 PM   #8
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dap247 View Post

I’ve thought about a tinted windshield but heard some have had issues seeing at night.
Hi dap247..

I had a tinted windshield installed on my I40 before it was delivered...
it has not diminished my I40 night driving..My hood has street lighting
but not bright...some owners may live where there is no street lighting at all..
here is where a tinted windshield could pose a problem...the tint is not dark at all...

Hope that helps you some..
CartsRFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:59 PM   #9
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartsRFun View Post
Hi dap247..

I had a tinted windshield installed on my I40 before it was delivered...
it has not diminished my I40 night driving..My hood has street lighting
but not bright...some owners may live where there is no street lighting at all..
here is where a tinted windshield could pose a problem...the tint is not dark at all...

Hope that helps you some..
I'd add that my tint may be darker than what they put, plus the window is pretty dirty. So to each their own.

With a lighter tint though, it might be nice.

I like that basket by the way...might get one.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:30 PM   #10
ATrain
Gone Wild

@DAP247 - Do you have a link to that basket on Amazon? I see them for EZGO/Club Car/etc so I want to know which one you have that's compatible.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon