lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2021, 11:57 AM   #61
geoffarias
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: i40L ICON Electric Street Legal Golf Cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theorangeman View Post
I've decided to pass on the Icon, at least this time around. Maybe in a dozen or so years I might give them a chance. Too much to risk in my book at this point. It's way too early to know if these carts are very reliable and if parts are going to be a challenge - again, according to an owner at a local golf cart shop, they decided to stop selling these because getting parts was a hassle. This was all before he even knew I was considering them.

At any rate, just not worth it to me versus spending a little more to get much more piece of mind. For those current Icon owners, I mean no offense. I hope you continue enjoying your carts! They're definitely very tempting!
I recently just went through this same internal debate between the ICON I60L and the a EZGO 72V L6. It came down to a few things for me in order of importance:

1. 72V vs 48V - considering I was buying a 6 seater, I liked the idea of the 72V over the 48V for range and peace of mind when fully loaded.
2. Bob Boyce - spoke with him and he said a 72V L6 is a beast. I read on here a review between two and someone said the 72V climbs hills better than the Icon. While in S Florida not a big deal, that means the EZGO has better torque and with a 6 seater that is never a bad idea. Bobs magic can get it to a high speed in low 30s which is fast enough for me. If the EZGO couldn't be programmed, Id probably change my tune. This was the biggest thing for me was having someone I knew could make the cart a beast.
3. My garage is 83" and Icon dealer told me 82.5" height. While Im confident it would fit, what if it didnt? I don't have ideal outdoor storage and in Florida humidity and rain will def get to it.
4. Learning curve - Ive been elbow deep in grease and dirt working on my current EZGO TXT. I know the parts, i know the issues, I know how to fix them and what to look for. Comfortability not that I couldn't learn on Icon but again I KNOW parts are easily available via Amazon both for fun accessories and wear and tear items (brakes, nuts, axles, hubs, etc.
5. Dealer is within 2 miles of me and has been great in listening to any issues I've had on my current EZGO without pressuring to buy anything. Icon dealer is further out of the way and haven't dealt with them.

What I decided was this go around, I'll stay with the tried and true. An EZGO L6 will always be in demand. So if I want to change to ICON in 1 2 3 years, I can easily unload the L6 and make the jump. But for now, I was just more comfortable staying with the established brand after MUCH debate with myself. I have a ICON I60L in the hood that Ive been meaning to stop by and pick their brain.
geoffarias is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-19-2021, 11:13 AM   #62
bamasmitty
Not Yet Wild

did anyone ever figure out what clays basket dap247 bought and installed on the i40?
bamasmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:54 AM   #63
Theorangeman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Since my last post almost a year ago, I decided to pass on the Icon and go with a Club Car. However, the pandemic happened and I decided to hold off buying a cart. Now, I'm back to the drawing board and again, considering an Icon. My neighbor has one in which he bought from Bayside Golf Carts here in Tampa. He loves his. I've also talked to a couple of other Icon owners from my golf course and they too really like theirs. That said, to me it's not so much how new owners like their carts but instead, what happens when you have to get it serviced a couple years down the road.

In any event, I'm taking my wife to Bayside today to test drive one. We will probably also swing by a Club Car dealer to drive an Onward. This is a tough decision... I really like the Icon, but am a little concerned about part availability in the future.
Theorangeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 12:40 PM   #64
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Since my last post almost a year ago, I decided to pass on the Icon and go with a Club Car. However, the pandemic happened and I decided to hold off buying a cart. Now, I'm back to the drawing board and again, considering an Icon. My neighbor has one in which he bought from Bayside Golf Carts here in Tampa. He loves his. I've also talked to a couple of other Icon owners from my golf course and they too really like theirs. That said, to me it's not so much how new owners like their carts but instead, what happens when you have to get it serviced a couple years down the road.

In any event, I'm taking my wife to Bayside today to test drive one. We will probably also swing by a Club Car dealer to drive an Onward. This is a tough decision... I really like the Icon, but am a little concerned about part availability in the future.
I've pretty much taken my entire cart apart and figured it out now and I wouldn't really be worried about part availability. Fender flares, the dash display, and maybe a couple of those unique things could be an issue.

The dash itself is just a Yamaha one and there are tons of those. The rest of the core components though are fine because you can replace them with stuff that's been around for years. If the Toyota controller went bad, you'd just buy an Alltrax and replace it. If the solenoid/contactor went bad, they sell those everywhere. Batteries are batteries. The electric motors usually last longer than everything on the cart, but you could just buy another one and swap it. Brake pads can be bought at auto places and it takes regular brake fluid. Lights are LED and should last, but they could be difficult to replace...but that's a pretty safe gamble though. Seats can be reupholstered. Tires are interchangeable.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:17 PM   #65
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Quote:

One thing for sure orangeman...the more you postpone purchasing your golf
cart the higher the prices will be...there is an ever growing demand for carts.

As for parts availability Club Car components are more than likely China
sourced...and would probably take just as long for spare oem parts
to arrive.

At the rate ICON is selling carts....parts availability will also increase as will
popular accessories.....

Don't wait too long ...as prices will continue rising...

Happy cartin
CartsRFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:51 AM   #66
Theorangeman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartsRFun View Post
One thing for sure orangeman...the more you postpone purchasing your golf
cart the higher the prices will be...there is an ever growing demand for carts.

As for parts availability Club Car components are more than likely China
sourced...and would probably take just as long for spare oem parts
to arrive.

At the rate ICON is selling carts....parts availability will also increase as will
popular accessories.....

Don't wait too long ...as prices will continue rising...

Happy cartin
Funny you say that... last night I reached out to a place that quoted me a custom build (club car body) for roughly $7,500 before COVID. After talking with my wife yesterday, I was prepared to move forward. He just got back to me and the price went up about 25%. I said no thanks.

Now back to considering the Icon. This is crazy.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:59 AM   #67
Theorangeman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrain View Post
I've pretty much taken my entire cart apart and figured it out now and I wouldn't really be worried about part availability. Fender flares, the dash display, and maybe a couple of those unique things could be an issue.

The dash itself is just a Yamaha one and there are tons of those. The rest of the core components though are fine because you can replace them with stuff that's been around for years. If the Toyota controller went bad, you'd just buy an Alltrax and replace it. If the solenoid/contactor went bad, they sell those everywhere. Batteries are batteries. The electric motors usually last longer than everything on the cart, but you could just buy another one and swap it. Brake pads can be bought at auto places and it takes regular brake fluid. Lights are LED and should last, but they could be difficult to replace...but that's a pretty safe gamble though. Seats can be reupholstered. Tires are interchangeable.
That's good info to know - I appreciate it. Question though... there is no way that I could do any of those repairs myself. Therefore, I would definitely need a dealer/shop to repair. Not owning a golf cart before, I assume many shops will repair golf carts even if they don't carry the brand, correct?

The reason I ask is let's say something happens with Icon and they become very sparse. Let's assume that as you described above that parts can be found. Is that the kind of thing that I could still probably take to a shop to get serviced?

After my custom build club car deal just tanked, I'm back to considering Icon but still have the same concerns. One last question, I see that for an i40 (non-lifted), the price advertised just about everywhere is $8,100. What kind of discount off that price are most dealers offering?
Old 05-18-2021, 10:36 AM   #68
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
That's good info to know - I appreciate it. Question though... there is no way that I could do any of those repairs myself. Therefore, I would definitely need a dealer/shop to repair. Not owning a golf cart before, I assume many shops will repair golf carts even if they don't carry the brand, correct?

The reason I ask is let's say something happens with Icon and they become very sparse. Let's assume that as you described above that parts can be found. Is that the kind of thing that I could still probably take to a shop to get serviced?

After my custom build club car deal just tanked, I'm back to considering Icon but still have the same concerns. One last question, I see that for an i40 (non-lifted), the price advertised just about everywhere is $8,100. What kind of discount off that price are most dealers offering?
A golf cart place should be able to fix it years down the road, but honestly I think ICON will be around for a while. They seem like a disruptor to some of the super expensive carts. For mechanical stuff (tires, brakes, etc) any place could do it, but for the controller/motor it would need a golf cart place.

No clue on cart pricing though.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:05 PM   #69
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Last I heard from my dealer...no discounts .... they simply can't
keep them in stock....the ICONs are sold before they even get to
my dealer.....

You pays to play....don't put it off much longer....prices keep
rising and sometimes steeply...

Happy cartin'
CartsRFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:42 PM   #70
jeffahfah
Getting Wild

@cartsrfun,

many of the dealerships will skip taxes on a all cash purchase (kinda a discount). The dealer wasnt lying about discounts. The one in my hood will only offer a discount for something that doesnt sell and sits for a month, usually some horrid color.
jeffahfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon