lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-07-2018, 07:51 PM   #1
Bbrid01
Not Yet Wild

Default 2014 Yamaha 48v won't move

I recently purchased a 48v yamaha cart from someone. The cart was hardly used, still looks brand new underneath, very clean. Batteries are clean and 5/6 are original. One was replaced in 2017. Test drive cart drove fine, everything worked and looked good. We got the cart home, drove it a few times over a few days, ell was well. Then we took it for a long run one night, batteries tested at 49v before we left. we rode around for a few miles and cart began to slow down in speed and then eventually stopped. We pushed the cart home and i checked the cells in the batteries. A few were low and we added distilled water and topped them off. Then put the cart on the charger. The cart will hold a charge at 52v when removed from the charger. Tried to drive the cart again and nothing...
No action what-so-ever. Did some troubleshooting and everything initially pointed to a possible bad solenoid. I did a continuity test which failed and didn't hear any clicking so I ordered the part and waited. Today the part came in, I swapped it and still nothing. Not the result I was hoping for.

The new one is not clicking either... so neither one make any kind of clicking sound with the key or pedal or anything else I try to do.

Under the seat the Tow/Run switch if toggled will essentially reset the cart and when I have the cart in reverse, it will alarm. Once I step on the gas pedal, the buzzer stops and the cart will not move. toggle the tow/run switch again and the buzzer starts until the gas pedal is pressed. Cart is still measuring 50v and I am not sure where else to look/turn to.

If I measure the incoming (?) side of the new solenoid I get 48v, measure the control panel side and I get 41V? Key on or off, doesn't change.

Model number from inside the seat is a YDREX4 PTV and it is a 2014 Yamaha 48v cart.

Please help...
Bbrid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-07-2018, 10:01 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2014 Yamaha 48v won't move

Please tell us you put it in tow before pushing it home....
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:35 PM   #3
Bbrid01
Not Yet Wild

Nope sure didn’t...

New to this cart thing...how bad is this going to hurt...
Old 12-07-2018, 11:05 PM   #4
Bbrid01
Not Yet Wild

Let me further discuss the time when it did stop. We drove for a few miles and the cart gradually began to slow down, 15mph, 12mph, 9 mph, are we going to make it home, then all of a sudden, that’s it... and we started pushing. We pushed it the distance of about 20-30 houses in the neighborhood so roughly 1000-1500’. (Without tow mode) then we thought to try it again and it worked, drove slowly at roughly the same 9mph home. Died again trying to make it through my thick grass and back into the garage. So we pushed it the rest of the way and this is where it has sat ever since. We charged it and tried to drive it 2 days later and it wouldn’t move. That’s when I ordered the new solenoid because we didn’t here the “click” everyone refers to.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:54 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Turn Tow switch off for at least 30 seconds before back on. Monitor voltage when pressing gas, not only static.

The fact you only pushed short distances probably saved you from damaging motor/controller just by getting it home. I'm assuming the "anti roll-away" feature doesn't work, since it didn't fight you while pushing it.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:24 PM   #6
Bbrid01
Not Yet Wild

Cgtech I tried the tow/haul button for longer than 30 seconds, no change. There is no resistance in tow or run mode to roll the cart.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:53 PM   #7
Bbrid01
Not Yet Wild

Also, not sure if it helps further explain anything but while messing around tonight, I checked voltage across the positive and negative connections on the controller. It measured 40v static while the cart was sitting. I “reset” the tow/run button and stepped on the pedal and the voltage dropped to 0, then slowly began to climb again. Never reaching anything over 41v.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:58 AM   #8
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm no expert by far but it sounds like your batteries might be shot. When you took it for a ride the other night they were roughly 65% at 49 volts. I would assume 52 volts is just the surface charge, it should drop down to 50.9 which is a full charge. If 41v is your pack voltage that is way below dead.

What batteries do you have?
What charger are you using?
What's the voltage after about 12 hours after the charger turns off?
Attached Images
File Type: png SOC.png (183.0 KB, 0 views)
bobbycason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:24 PM   #9
Bbrid01
Not Yet Wild

Update: it was a bad controller - hired a repair shop to diagnose and they replaced the controller and now the cart works again. Hope this somehow helps someone else someday.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha