lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2023, 07:12 PM   #1
HarryT
Gone Wild

Default Which is worst / best ?

I live in an area with gravel roads and steep hills. I am clearing an area with a 1/8 mile hill to where I burn this debris. I tow a 4' x 8' trailer behind my 2012 Precedent with 6 8V batteries. The trailer weighs 400 lbs and I usually load it with another 4 or 5 hundred lbs of brush and cit up trees. It makes it up the hill many times a day with no noticeable strain on the cart.
Question - Which is harder on the electronics and drive line, going slow up the hill or going fast.? I usually run at about half throttle and check when I get to the top, and everything seems cool. So, should I go at intermediate speed, slow down or run faster?
Harry
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-11-2023, 08:08 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Which is worst / best ?

800-900lbs of towing plus passengers plus the weight of the cart (900ish lbs plus back seat) seems like it’s probably pushing the cart to it’s limits… add to that doing it up a steep hill is probably not the best for it regardless of speed. Especially if used this way regularly I’d probably recommend something a little more utility in design like a gator or a ranger or something.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 09:46 PM   #3
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

The fact that it even can go fast up the hill is impressive. I’d think faster is better for the motor.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 12:29 AM   #4
HarryT
Gone Wild

I am on the cart by myself (150lbs) with no backseat. Hitchweight is abput 150 with heaviest stuff at the back of the trailer. The trailer behind the cart is rolling/pulling weight not carrying weight. Think heavy wheelbarrow uphill. Hard to get moving but fairly easy after getting it rolling.
The cart is definately slower. like having another person aboard. Maybe 6 mph.
My question was faster or slower. Like LukeL said, I think faster is safer on the motor. Next time I haul a load I will check the motor and electronics with my laser thermometer and compare going up the same hill with no trailer and let you know.
Thanks;
Harry
Old 03-12-2023, 06:16 AM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Just a SWAG on my part as I use my cart primarily for hunting, so I do a lot of "creep near the edge of the trail" kind of driving.

Once you get the "mass" (cart) moving, gravity works for, then against you. In your case, assuming you're hauling an empty trailer up the hill, and a "full load" down the hill.....going down with the additional weight likely isn't putting much stress on the drive train. More likely it's putting a strain on your braking setup. (I know my cart gave me scary downhill stop "attempts" before I installed front disc).

However, if you're "going full throttle" up a hill you're working against gravity. Hence, if you keep the pedal to the metal the entire time, you're going to use more energy. The more energy you pull across your setup (cables, solenoid, F\R switch) the more chance of generating heat....and heat will eventually wear out "stuff".

So, if you're going up the hill at say, half-throttle vs full throttle, you gotta be pulling more amps at full than half. More amps = generating more heat. OTOH, going up the hill, once you get the "Mass" moving it takes a bit less energy to keep it moving. (object in motion, stays in motion thing) So, driving up at half-throttle (or going full\half throttle to keep your speed) will be "less stressful" than a peddle to the medal approach.

Now, if you have HD cables\switch\solenoid that's going to reduce that heat thing....and the wear on everything.

So....what's my conclusion? IMHO full throttle is gonna cause more stress on the machine. Of course, more weight is gonna cause the machine to want\need more amps. So....there's that "work" calculation thing that comes in there somewhere. You can do this work easy with a CAT D9....but that's likely overkill. You can do this work not so easy with a wheelbarrow. You should be able to "feel" the machine and know if it's more on the wheelbarrow side of things....or the D9 side.

SWAG. (Any reference to Newton's apple falling thing is purely coincidental)
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 02:35 PM   #6
HarryT
Gone Wild

DaveTM;
Great answer. I guess I will keep driving it the way I have. I have been hauling stuff this way with this cart on and off for a few years and it does not seem to have caused any damage "YET". Running gear and electronics on golf carts are much more durable than a lot of people think.
I have watched neighbors with 4 seaters with 6 people aboard cruise up and down the gravel hills in our area and wonder how the carts are still running. Lucky, I guess.
Thanks all for your answers;
Harry
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car